folic acid question

babyg

Reaction score
Hey

Just wondering if anyone can answer this for me......... I .know reccommended folic acid when ttc is 400mg and my pre natal vit has this but I'm also taking vit b50 complex to help with my spotting before af and this also contains 400mg folic acid.

Is too much folic acid bad for u when ttc?

Thanks

Some people are actually recommended to take a higher dose of FA (I can't recall why though?)

I am sure it is fine hun

xxxxxxxxxx

I'm pretty sure larger doses of fa can be dangerous and the only ppl who have to take a bigger dose r deficient. Even if it doesn't do any harm extra won't do any good so i would drop the fa tab if it were me xxx

They prescribe bigger doses of folic acid when your overweight at our drs surgery. When i fell pregnant the second time and saw the midwife she prescribed me with 5mg tabs as my BMI was 31 so its not just for people who are deficient!Is there anyone at your drs urgery you can check the doseage out with hun?Im sure its absoloutly fine though xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, think I will get the laptop out to google it, I love google lol.

Will check with docs once I know more about it :)

Just found this info now thought id post case anyone else was interested.......

Got this of net doctor.

Question
Is it possible to take too much folic acid?

I am planning a pregnancy and I need guidance on taking folic acid.

The NetDoctor advice says to take a 400mg supplement daily - I note that my daily breakfast of Special K gives me 98mg already, so if I take the supplement too is there any danger?

Likewise, once I am pregnant, would there be any danger to the baby if I took over 400mg?

Answer
There is no danger in taking too much folic acid.

This vitamin is not one that accumulates or can cause any adverse effects (for mother or baby) if taken in a high dose.

Your body is easily able to get rid of any excess if you have more than you need.

The reason that everyone is advised to take a supplement is that even if you eat a balanced diet with fortified cereals and breads it is still difficult to obtain enough folic acid to protect a baby against neural tube defects such as spina bifida.

So, it is important to take a regular folic acid supplement containing 400 micrograms daily, and this should be continued until the end of the 12th week of pregnancy

I took vitB complex and Folic acid, it's fine :) xx

thanks sunbeam, i have read that the excess comes out in your wee, i was shocked at the colour of mine this morn lol, first time ive pee'd in a cup for a while and it was BRIGHT yellow lol.

are you and lil bean doing ok?

Oh god yes! Mine was neon and it freaked me out but your right your body only takes what it needs hence the rest is yellow wee :)

I ended up taking one every other day of my cycle only because you could see it was taking effect.

Much better thank you after the weekend...still spotting but not worried as much now. Ah hope you get your bfp soon lovely xxxxxxx

I read that some people are actually told to take more but thats up to your GP and depends what vitamins and meds you already take.. I dont think if you took some special K and one 400mg of folic aicd that would be too dangerous but always check with the GP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back