Folic acid

Kaylee2802

Reaction score
Hi all, I can't swallow tablets .. I try and try and try and when I finally force myself I sick them back up. 2 questions 1) if I sick my folic acid straight up it can't have worked can it? 2) is there any folic acid that isn't a big round thing the size of a beach pebble lol or any way of getting the full intake without a tablet? Thanks

Could you break the tablet in two?

Maybe this is a good time to try and teach yourself how to take tablets. I had a friend who was like you and couldn't do it. But then she went to Africa and had to take malaria tablets each day. She soon managed to learn how to do it when the other option was risk of Malaria!

All you need to do is have a mouthful of water and lose the tablet in the water somewhere and just swallow it all together at once.

You really need this folio acid for your baby, so maybe with that as your focus you'll be able to master it. :) Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine. Xx

Good sources of folic acid are:

• broccoli
  • brussels sprouts
  • asparagus
  • peas
  • chickpeas
  • brown rice
  • fortified breakfast cereals

Thanks, when I was in hospital they taught me how to do it by thinking of something else while I swallowed it n I managed one out of my 5 tablets n then was sick all over there floor ha ha do since then I always get stuff through a drip or liquid form. I know I need to but the ones I've been given are enormous I keep trying and trying but I need 3 of these enormous things. Surely they must do a smaller one? X

Thankyou atleat I I eat all those as well as trying to take my tablets of i do sick them back up I may get some.. Have booked into the doctors cos I do know how important it is that's why I fore myself to swallow them, just unsure how I stop myself being sick afterwards x

I've got the boots own brand and they're teeny (trust me, I can't do tablets either!). Take it with milk or juice so your throat opens up more naturally.

If you get the normal folic acid tablets they are tiny, its the multi vitamin ones like pregnacare that are big. Go to the supermarket and pick up a plain bottle of folic acid you should have no problems swallowing those xx

What the others have said. Boots folic acid isn't much bigger than the pill so they're easy to take. I'm the same as you but taught myself how to take them. I can only take a whole tablet (i'm taking pregnacare and they're like bullets!) is to take it with milk or (strangly) coke?! I think the thickness of the milk or the fizziness of the coke makes it easier.

Hope you manage it soon x

Hi all, I can't swallow tablets .. I try and try and try and when I finally force myself I sick them back up. 2 questions 1) if I sick my folic acid straight up it can't have worked can it? 2) is there any folic acid that isn't a big round thing the size of a beach pebble lol or any way of getting the full intake without a tablet? Thanks

Im not sure which foods are high in folic acid but research it and eat it that way instead =)

Thanks everyone, so if I get the normal teeny ones that are just folic acid do I need to take anything else with them? Glad it's not just me xx

Couldn't hurt to take a multi vitamin too I guess? If you can find teeny ones:) x

My tablets are also teeny?!? They are what the Dr gave me...maybe ask your dr if can prescribe you smaller tablets? x

I think all the pregnancy multi vitamins are huge, but I take a 5mg Folic acid tablet and I would say it's probably smaller than the mini-pill (contraception) I used to be on, a teeny weeny thing.

I can take a huge number of tablets at once, but I find it easier to take your tablets with a drink you like rather than water, so Cola, juice, Milk or squash....my friends Mum can only swallow tablets with Hot Coffee?

Thanks, I only found out yeterday and there's a 3 and half week wait to get in to the doctors so am going to try the chemist later thanks . X

Feraglobiin B12 is in medicine form and contains all necessary vitamins for pregnancy including iron so really good - have a look in your local supermarket - I know Tesco sells it as that's where I get mine from :)

I really struggle to swallow tablets too :-( I have found the only way i can swallow them is if I have a mouthful of chewed up food, shove the tablet in the middle of the chewed food and swallow it quickly before my brain registers it's a tablet lol. I have never been able to take tablets with water or other drinks because I can feel the tablet when I swallow it and that's what makes me throw up! :shock:

That's the same with me, never thought to try it with food thanks x

It's definately worth a try - I have even managed to swallow the large pregnacare tablets though I admit I really struggle with the omega 3 capsules :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back