Folic Acid

ruthiex

Reaction score
Hey Ladies

Just wondering if any one else had been given the same information i had about folic acid..

When i went to see my gp to confirm my pregnancy he told me to take folic acid all through out my pregnancy, he said that people who take folic acid all through out could be less likley to have children with autism etc..!

My midwife has told me to stop taking folic acid at around 13/14 weeks!

So im wondering what your thoughts are and if any one is going to take it all the way through???

x

Midwife I saw recommended taking it throughout pregnancy... especially if it's pregnacare or something similar because it contains additional vitamins too and it's a good idea to continue them... never heard that comment re autism though xx

I took a high dosage (5mg) until my 12 week scan and now take a multivitamin with the usual 400g dose in!

xxxxxxxxxx

Hey Ladies

Just wondering if any one else had been given the same information i had about folic acid..

When i went to see my gp to confirm my pregnancy he told me to take folic acid all through out my pregnancy, he said that people who take folic acid all through out could be less likley to have children with autism etc..!

My midwife has told me to stop taking folic acid at around 13/14 weeks!

So im wondering what your thoughts are and if any one is going to take it all the way through???

x

blimey love i would be worried about this comment from your doctor as recent studies have shown that there is an association with excessive folic acid exposure in the womb to increased risk of developing asthma and autism! and even this is LOOSE research done in some obscure country

only reason i know this is my OH has aspergers so i research alot into autism

blimey love i would be worried about this comment from your doctor as recent studies have shown that there is an association with excessive folic acid exposure in the womb to increased risk of developing asthma and autism! and even this is LOOSE research done in some obscure country

only reason i know this is my OH has aspergers so i research alot into autism

What does this mean for the multivitamins that have FA in hun?

xxxxxxxx

as eevryone is unique in dosages i couldnt really say hun, its a plausible study but not proven x and it was based on a massive dose basically when people go nuts on it thinking they will just pee the excess out.

so shocked a doctor would say that?? really scary

I was advised to take pregnacare (or similar) throughout my entire pregnancy last time, and I'll do the same this time.

i got given vits with folic acid in of my midwife to take for the whole pregnacy x

It amazes me when "doctors" make links with autism and medications/vaccinations, it's unreasonable to scaremonger like that!! Autism is a very complex disorder and yes there is evidence to suggest that ASDs are developed while in the womb, but to attempt to make it about deficiencies or abundances of vitamins and minerals of pregnant mothers is ridiculous when there is so little to back it up. I think to do so is completely underestimating what autistic spectrum disorders really are, and how individual's brains are affected by it.

Back to the original post, I took 5mg high dose folic acid for first 12 weeks then just my normal pregnacare dose xx

I agree leesey, even the ''trials'' done were inconclusive as there is no way they could ever know without subjecting a baby in the womb to ridiculous tests and dosages, which could endanger it??

sent from my MiniPro using Tapatalk 2

I would keep with a good multivitamin with folic acid throughout pregnancy, its what I intend to do. THer eis no good evidence that this could be in any way detrimental, and evidence to suggest that it may be beneficial. I had a quick look and folate plus B12 is good for DHA absorption, all good for CNS development :) So there may be benefits to taking multivitamins with the folate, not just on its own. Although many people with a healthy diet will have all the multivits they need anyway. The only exception is fit D which is hard to get through diet. xx

Thank you ladies, iv been taking folic acid and vitamin d but i think il get some pregnacare now for the rest of the time, especially because im not eating much due to morning sickness or all day sickness at the mo lol! might give me a bit of energy :) xxxxx

Thank you ladies, iv been taking folic acid and vitamin d but i think il get some pregnacare now for the rest of the time, especially because im not eating much due to morning sickness or all day sickness at the mo lol! might give me a bit of energy :) xxxxx

Boots have got pregnacare on 3 for 2 at the moment :thumbup:

I was on a high dose of Folic Acid (5mg) for my first pregnancy and again this time round. I took FA for weeks past my 20 week scan, can't remember when I stopped. Will do the same again this time round and will probably stop when my prescription runs out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back