Folic Acid question

bumpmakes3

Reaction score
Just had a thought and I know it's probably a silly question but do you take folic acid all the way through pregnancy or stop at some point?

Some people take it all the way through there pregnancies and some people stop at 12 weeks or just after there scan

i take pregnacare which contains folic acid, and i'll probs take that all the way through for my vitamins :)

xxx

I have Spina Bifida Occulta (very mild not noticable form of Spina Bifida) so I take a prescribed 5mg dose. But after 12 weeks I have been advised I can stop. I am also taking pregnacare and will carry on with that throughout.

Thanks for all the answers ladies - guess I'll stop that now then! Just as well as I've run out :D

You can generally stop once you've got to 12 weeks. I was taking it while I was ttc and I'll continue throughout the first trimester, but I will stop at 12 wks.

You can carry on after 12 weeks. I'd certainly recommend pregnacare!

I took it all the way through with my other pregnancies and plan on doing the same this time round. I'm a very fussy eater so all the vitamins the baby can get the better!!

I would like to know this too! I think I will just keep on taking mine until I am told otherwise.

I was taking Sanatogen multi-vits + folic acid (the one with the pink lid) for about 2 years when we were ttc, and have continued taking it throughout my pregnancy. I plan on continuing to take it while breast feeding as well. My appetite has been up and down during the past 8 months, ang taking extra vits can't do any harm so I'd rather keep going with them.

I took it for the first 12 weeks and then stopped for about 8 weeks. I read somewhere at that point that folic acid can help prevent pre-eclampsia so I started taking it again and will do for the rest of the pregnancy.

My doctor said 12 weeks should be the bare minimum, but better to carry on as long as you can. I've been taking pregnacare as it has the folic acid as well as all the other good stuff.

I got a prescription and I am over 12 weeks so I will be taking it until told otherwise

I was really ill for a bit so the doctor was worried and i got given 5mg dose

i only took it for about a month . cause found out i was pregnant in dec 06, when i got the confirmation as i didnt know any dates.but had been having food containing frolic so must of done the trick. like brussels :)

I was advised by midwife to carry on as it does no harm and can help body absorb iron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back