folic acid question

nmf1987

Reaction score
might be a silly question but ive heard different things about folic acid. some people are saying take it whole way through pregnancy and some are saying you stop at 2 weeks. can anyone help?

xxxx

I stopped after my 12 week scan.
Thought that was norm scans have shown everything fine :) x x

I was told you take it before conception and up to 12 weeks pregnant - my doc told me it is pointless taking it for the entire pregnancy as baby's skeleton is formed by 12 weeks. x

ok. ive taken it as much as i can but honestly kept forgetting some days. i suppose some is better than none. xxx

I took it for the first 12 weeks (as well as 11 months previously while TTC!). The bottle I had said on the back 'take for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy'. I have major trouble taking pills at the best of times so I couldn't wait to stop them TBH! lol

xxx

yeah my midwife said take it till 12 weeks for sure, and you can keep taking it if you want to but theres no need to

Hi,I saw the midwife on the weekend and she told me to take Folic Acid up until about 12-14 weeks; but she also suggested a combination vitamin pill which you can get from the chemist (can't remember what it is called the Chemist would know). Which you take throughout, which also has folic acid in it. I plan to buy that one, but for now I am taking Folic Acid daily.xx

I am currently taking Pregnacare Conception and have been told I can continue to take this until 12 weeks.
I plan to just finish the pack I am on then move on to Pregnacare Pregnancy which I will then take throughout.
I think it is personal preference as to whether you continue taking something after the inital 12-14 weeks but as I am in a higher risk group for not getting the nutrients due to being vegan I think it is wise that I take it.

Last edited:
rachaelllouise , I'd imagine being in a higher risk group you should :) . I was told after 12 weeks folic acid wont do much all all the development of the nerves at risk is done ?

I had been taking folic acid for a couple of months before I conceived and then when I ran out at 6 weeks pregnant I switched to pregnacare pregnancy which contains folic acid as well as lots of other vitamins and minerals including iron. But when I saw my doctor last week she said there was no need to take the pregnancy one yet as the iron can cause constipation (which I was already experiencing) and my blood tests (which were taken while on the pregnacare pregnancy) showed my haemoglobin levels were higher than normal so I was probably getting enough iron just from my diet and no need to supplement it at this stage. I am quite happy to be back on folic acid only tablets now!

From what i'm led to believe, if you are planning/trying to hav a baby you are supposed to be taking folic acid tablets and still when you conceive you take it untill baby is 12 weeks, after that you can move onto pregnacare which has folic acid and different vitamins you need in on tablet and you take that right through the rest of your pregnancy.

I never knew you were supposed to take folic acid at the beginning of pregnancy but again, I wasnt planning/trying to have a baby as I was told I probably couldnt have a family and then found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks on. I got put onto folic acid at 8 weeks and stopped at 12 weeks and I am now on pregnacare. So it is not the end of the world if you havnt started taking it yet when you are early on :)

Make a pregnancy ticker

i took folic acid until 12 weeks and then the midwife gave me some multivitamins for pregnancy which have folic acid in which ill take for the whole pregnancy. I did previously try pregnacare but they made me feel sick x

I'm TTC and been taking folic acid for 5 months now - the high dose cos I'm 38 and overweight. You are supposed to stop after week 12 into pregnancy

i take pregnacare, from about 4 weeks when i found out, ill take this all the way threw as it contains every thing for a healthy pregnancy

i do miss it every now and then but in genral take it also i know my iron levels were low b4 i got pregnant so it will help with me feeling tired an that to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back