Flying

Ker31

Reaction score
Hi ladies, am new tri 1 I'm five weeks gone due in Jan and super happy, are any of you ladies planning on flying in tri 1? I had a missed mc in oct shortly after I had flown to and from London. I have a hol to mallorca booked for June but will only be 11 weeks then, any advice? Would you fly?

Ker, big congrats to you!! I don't think flying on short haul journeys is a problem until later in the pregnancy. You could wear flight socks just to be extra safe though, as risk of DVT is higher when pregnant. xxxx

I'm flying to turkey on the 14th and returnin on 28th will be 9 and 11 weeks! I mc in oct and jan, and hadn't flown so....... I'm going on my hols xx

I was in Portugal when I found out I was pregnant..

xx

I recently flew from Belfast to Glasgow and back when I was 10 weeks. Heard babys heartbeat afterwards so I was fine flying in tri 1 x

I think its to do with radiation levels that pregnant women are advised to avoid flying in tri 1. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless it was an emergency like I needed to get to family. I wouldn't do it for a holiday. But everyone's different.

Plus, domestic or really short haul flights stay don't climb to the same altitude that long haul flights do, so less radiation.

I travelled at 5 weeks then about 9 weeks and am travelling again tomorrow at nearly 14 weeks. It's fine :) It's the later stages when you need to be careful. I have to fly all the way back to NZ at 30 weeks. x

Thanks for the replies ladies I'm gonna play it be ear and decide closer to the time

Hi, I fly regularly for business and flew right up to 6 months then stopped. I was a bsolutely fine! Xx

never heard of radiation wen flying:shock: i did fly but i was 22 weeks and 23 wen i returned was fine xx

Hi hun,

I would speak to your GP (or better still MW) for some reassurance.

I personally wouldn't have but only as I have had 3 miscarriages so would not take any chances. It wasn't even the flying, more the thought of being abroad and needing medical assistance that put me off :shock: :shock:

I am an exception though and only because I have had several losses.

You need to do what feels right so seek some medical advice and decide then?

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I've never heard of radiation when flying. If anything air gets less the higher you go. I have flown whilst in tri 1 and I was fine and hopefully plan to go on holiday in August when ill be in tri 3. Just wear flight socks :) x

Yeah, its minimal risk but thought I'd mention it. I know of someone who is a flight attendant and the women are advised not to do more than 200 hours flying whilst pregnant. I can't see anyone other than flight attendants doing anywhere near that.

I did a transatlantic flight last week and I'm off to Germany next week. The risks of flying are largely theoretical in that you get higher exposure ( fractionally) to cosmic rays, and the oxygen content of air on planes is often lower than atmospheric oxygen on the ground, makes you sleepy! If there were significant risks air stewardesses wouldn't be able to do 200h! I think Nat's point about insurance is important and I check that my insurance covers me in pregnancy and that I'm somewhere I can get help. In tri1, there is little anyone can do anyway. I'll be more nervous the later I get in the pregnancy but I've no big trips planned at the moment and I'll do my best to keep it that way. I should be going to Sweden in November but I think flying at 38 weeks is a no no! :)

I flew loads of times in tri1. Also in tri2. All was fine :) x

I spoke to my doc and he says its up to me, there are two reasons why it could be inadvisable, 1. If its eptopic and I didn't know and started to bleed a lot and 2. Incase it was long haul and bleeding and far away from a hospital, ill see how I go x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back