Flying During Pregnancy

Bexter

Reaction score
Hi, i have just realised i'm booked to fly to Belfast on business in a few weeks.
I will be about 7.5 weeks pg by then, is it safe to fly?
I have googled this but seems to have conflicting advice. :?

Has anyone flown in first tri and been ok?

From what I've read and thus conclude is that flying shortly after conception can cause miscarriage. Flying later in trimester one is ok and into Trimester two is the safest time to fly. Prior to 28 weeks you can fly and will be ok, 28+ weeks most airlines won't take you without a doctors letter and some will still refuse. I don't think by that point in my pregnancy that I'd want to be on a plane anyway!! I think you'll be ok since your almost 8 weeks by then. Phone and speak to the GP or Midwife if confused they will give you the most up to date NHS answer if that makes sense rather than online information that might be wrong or influenced with personal experience type thing.

From what I've found out it's absolutely fine to fly when preg, apart from later on when too close to birth.

I'm actually flying to Glasgow tomorrow. I was due to fly to Denver but cancelled it, but actually the GP and midwife said there was absolutely no reason why I shouldn't take even such a long flight as that.

The only reasons are if it is a long flight and you might be feeling sick and uncomfortable anyway when pregnant, so for you personally the flight might not be a lot of fun. And having to go to the loo a lot!

K.xxx

Thanks very much, you have both put my mind at rest. :hug:

Am so sorry i'm totally neurotic and am posting every few minutes - it's so strange to have to think about how your lifestyle can affect the pregnancy :think:

xx

hey there,

I flew to Cuba when I was 7.5 weeks pregnant last time and i was fine even with it being long haul, I'm also going away this time too although I'll be about 23 weeks.

I know it's hard not to worry but try not to.

Lx

My midwife said to me that if i was ever going to fly during pregnancy to call her!

I think if you call your MD she will be able to provide you with the best information, I find that the internet is very confusing when your looking for answers about anything in pregnancy!!!!

:D

i think you wll be fine hun. i flew to america at 16weeks and was fine.

they wouldnt let you if it wasnt safe.

wear flight socks. and move abou a much as possible. also drinklots of water :)

Hi!

As our conception was in Sweden, I flew during tri 1 and flew back to sweden in tri 2.

Think you should be fine :hug:

Just drink plenty of water and move around a lot :hug:

Hi Hun

I've been told that it's OK to fly during the first tri - the reason they give for exercising caution is not that flying causes miscarriage, but that you are more at risk of miscarriage before twelve weeks and if it happens mid-flight you're not really in the best place to have it properly looked after, if that's the right 'turn of phrase'... :oops:

In addition, flying makes everything swell and so it's more uncomfortable to fly during pregnancy - however, that's more an inconvenience than anything else!

XX

Hello! I flew a few times - I live a plane journey away from family so here goes - 8 weeks 2 x 1 hr flight, 12 weeks 2 x 1 hr flight and 16 weeks 2 x 1 hour flight.

Next month I am heading off to Sydney so it does not get much more brave than that (long story, wedding, I am the bridesmaid etc). My MW was really positive about it. (which I have to say surprised me)

Anyway, one of the gals on here is a pilot and gave same advise as Keslo, water, flight socks and walk about loads. No reason why you should not fly in 2nd tri, I got a leaflet from midwife that just said exactly the same advice. Not sure about first tri, so speak to your own midwife, but I lived to tell the tale xxx

Thanks for all your replies guys!

As it turns out i probably won't need to fly during my first tri - i had a risk assessment in work and they have put it down as a low risk but a risk all the same, i think they just want to cover their ass*s. :moon:

But i will definitely be flying during 2nd tri as my parents live in France, and i'm booked to go and see them during April, so it's nice to have the reassurance from you ladies. :hug:

xx

This thread is really great thanks for posting it. My DH wants to go travelling before we have a baby and wants to go to Australia and New Zeland. After readinng this I feel totally cool with going. We'll leave it to 2nd Tri though. If all goes well sticky :pray:

Hello - thought I would pop in and answer this too!

I flew to the dominican republic when I was 10 weeks pregnant and flew back when I was 13 weeks pregnant. I also flew to Aberdeen from manchester when 16 weeks pregnant and 10 weeks pregnant. The advice I got was as above - drink plenty of water and move about lots as your blood gets thicker...

You should be fine but I would think twice about flying much past 24 weeks.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back