Flying??

scottishlassie

Reaction score
Hi girls, I know I'm not due to join you's all yet, but I have a question... My mum is thinking about taking me on holiday in early March (by that point i will be in tri 2). Do you girls have any advice on flying? would you avoid it? Just really looking for your opinions :). From what i can see it should be okay, but as i am a worrier, well i get myself worried basically :p. Also i will be going to the US, so a long flight! and also I seen something about the metal detectors? I think the US have new ones in their airports that are like xrays and i could refuse to go through one because i'm pregnant? (and they will just pat me down etc.).

In early march i will be about 17-18 weeks (ish!). Any advice girls would be great! :) xxx

I think its in late tri 3 you can't fly? I'm sure someone here will know x

Yeah thats what i seen mostly from google searching. I just get myself all worried eh, personally I would rather not go, but it will only be a long weekend so leaving friday and coming back monday night. My mum really wants to go as well, i know if i postpone it any longer it will be too late to fly, and then wee baba will be here, and no way am i flying across the world when he/she arrives lol. Thanks for your reply hun :) x

They say the best time to go on holiday and fly is tri 2 so that's prob your best time :) x

Yeah I think Shauna is right. Where are you off to?
Oh also have I already asked you where about in Scotland you are?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Edinburgh hun :). And we're going to New York. I've never been, only to Florida, its a kind of birthday treat that has been delayed for ages. xx

hey scottishlassie - I fly a lot for my job and went to the States just before my 12 week scan - they did have those creepy, "I-can-see-you-naked" metal detectors, but i told them i didn't want to go through and they patted me down. I have since flown twice more, both times to the middle east, and it was fine (and i am a major worrier, having had 2 miscarriages).

We are going to Egypt in March, when i will be about 27-28 weeks. a 5 hour flight on easy jet! that should be fun!

you won't even need a letter when you're only 18 weeks

xx

Hiya, have a look back at a post made from Cherelle... called I think 'Going on holiday' was only made a few days back asking the same questions and a lot of people answered, might be of some help.
x

Thanks girls for all the replies, definetely put my mind at ease over flying. :) and thanks hopeful, found the thread and read through it! :).

Can't wait to join you girls in tri 2! xxx

Yeh youre fine flying, most airlines wont let you fly after between 32-36 weeks. And you dont need a doctors note until your 22 weeks I think. If you dont want to go through metal detectors or scanners just tell them you pregnant I do and they just pat you over. Ive just booked a flight with easyjet to fly when Im 33 weeks with my son, not looking forward to that one but I have to do it :( 4 hours of being cramped for me.
Definately I wouldnt avoid it, better now while your not big and still comfortable. Enjoy your hols!

when do you need a letter from your midwife ive been told 23 weeks not sure if this is right

I used to work at check in at the airport for 6 years and most airlines don't need a letter from doc until after 28 weeks x

when do you need a letter from your midwife ive been told 23 weeks not sure if this is right

Most airlines are different but if you have a quick look on the online sites they all tell you there regulations and rules so easy enough to fine out x

you can fly upto 32weeks with a doctors clearance that everything is ok, best to avoid after 32weeks x

im flying tomorrow :)

i dont have to have a doctors note and i will be about 25 weeks when im flying back x

I'm in Edinburgh too!

I'm flying at 26 weeks. I do need a note, for South African airways - but they do allow you to fly international until 35 weeks!!

BMI didn't need a note. I would phone and check - that way you will know exactly what is required and you will relax!!

When I spoke to my midwife about it she says that she does them all the time and just scheduled my appointment to be close to my flying date.

Maybe you will have the same one!!

you can fly upto 32weeks with a doctors clearance that everything is ok, best to avoid after 32weeks x

You can actually fly later than 32 weeks.. All airlines are different for example easy jet let you fly up until 36 weeks.
Theres no dangers when flying for baby they only give restrictions so you dont go into labour etc on there planes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back