Question for 2nd Tris-I am from 1st Tri - Hello!

Neev

Reaction score
:wave: Hello and sorry for butting in but I thought I could ask you ladies a question.

We are thinking of going on a 7 hour flight in May for 4 weeks holidays. I will be 23 weeks pregnant if all goes well :pray: I will be flying out when I will be 23w and flying back at 27 weeks. I understand airlines do let us fly during that timeframe but I was wondering about

**Travel Insurance- =do they cover us? I know each travel insurance is different but is there a general rule for us flying during 2nd tri?

**Also - is it safe if I take the usual precautions of moving around and drinking plenty of water.

**Ladies that are between 23 weeks-27 weeks, how big are you? I understand we all change shape in different ways but I am a size 10-12 right now and am wondering if I will be massive then?

Any advice would be appreciated because we are thinking of booking our flights in the next day or two. Sorry for all these questions. Thanks so much.

Hello sorry i cant be much help with the holiday side but with regards to bumpage everyone is different but im 26 weeks and only have a small bump its not so much the size but it can get very uncomfortable with how the baby is lying.

Hope you have a good holiday :cheer:

You'll need to check with your insurance company as to their policy of insuring when pregnant. Only they can tell you what is what for their company.

IIRC you can fly in these times, but the advice is to not go long haul. I'd check with your GP and/or MW as they know how you pregnancy is going and if they think its advisable.

And I've a pretty big bump at 24 weeks and sitting upright for long periods is bloody uncomfortable. I'd not like to sit for 7 hours if I didn't have to, even with moving round etc. It is advised to move around as much as possible when PG and flying and to stay hydrated as you are more at risk of things like DVT etc in pregnancy.

There is also things like the commute to airport, waiting for luggage, delays etc. All will add to your travel time etc, so its not only a 7 hour flight, but the 2 hour check in and everything else.

I'd really go speak to your GP or MW about it all to be on the safe side.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a long flight unless its really necessary. You'll get uncomfortable sitting for long periods and the baby will probably be quite restless as they are not getting their usual rocking motion from you moving around.

You'd have to check with your travel insurance co. re your policy.

If you do decide to go, take plenty of water and snacks for the flight, and when you check in tell them you are pregnant and ask for an aisle seat.
Also pack loads of indigestion remedies!

Also if it were me I want to know where I would go if I needed any medical attention whilst away, local hospitals, etc...

You should check with you MW as you won't want to miss any blood tests etc.

Thanks Ladies, Good Point. I have discussed with DH and we have both come to the conclusion we will wait till I have an appointment with MW and perhaps to see how the pregnancy is going. This was partly work partly time off but if it can be excessively tiring and risk of health to either me/LO then it definately is not worth it.

Thanks once again :)

I used to be a size 10-12 pre-pregnancy. At Christmas I was 23 weeks and went on a 2 hour train ride and I was fine but felt a bit uncomfortable. I personally wouldn't consider a 7 hour journey now as I would feel sore and uncomfortable and a holiday would be wasted on me as I am too tired and hormonal.

But every pregnancy is different - bumps can be in different positions for a start and that affects how easy it is to move to some extent at this stage. Personally, I can't lean forwards much without spreading my legs far more than you could on a plane (that sounds wrong :oops: ) and I can barely lean sideways either. I find moving generally quite hard now. And I have a painful pelvis and amazingly painful things going on at the very top of my bump (not where baby is but where all my insides have been pushed to) which I think is to do with pressure from my breasts :shock: My back aches but that is quite mild compared to everything else though.

If you are feeling great then you probably will not have my issues. I don't want to scare you or put you off, but I think you were looking for advice from people at my stage to how difficult it may be to travel and this is my experience. But there will be plenty of people who have lots of energy, no pain and feel there should be no problems, I'm sure.

It says in one of my pregnancy books that some airlines will require a doctor's note before travel to say you are well enough to travel.

Let us know what you decide to do :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back