First Timer... No Clue and VERY scared!

Jade_Number1

Reaction score
I am 4 weeks pregnant with my 1st baby and absolutely petrified! I am only 18, and it was completely unplaned. I've started taking folic acid and extra vitamin D but other than that I am clueless!

I have absolutely no idea what to do now- my boyfriend (bless him) has taken to running me a bath for when I get home every night but I would like to know how we go about getting a midwife and also how much maternity leave I will be entitled to. I have worked for the same company for the last 2 years but there is no imformation about maternity leave included in my contract.

HELP! :pray:

Congratulations!!! It is a big scary step, but a really exciting one too. It is lovely your Bf is taking good care of you...just make sure your baths aren't too hot. :)

Folic acid is good! Making midwife appointments etc is different for different areas. I had to go and tell my doc I was preggers and then he told me to make an appointment for the midwife. I know other people on this forum have other methods.

Others might correct me, I am not an aurthority, but you are definately entitled to SMP (Statutory Maternity Pay) for up to 39 weeks, the law changed this year so that everyone , regarless of how long they have worked for a company is entitled to it. Your employer will pay you 90 per cent of your average weekly earnings for the first six weeks and then I think you get about £112 a week or 90% of your previous earnings if that figure is lower.

Hope that helps. THere is more info at:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10029290

Hello, welcome and congratulations :hug:

The first thing you need to do is make an appointment with your doctor. Basically they will just tell you what to avoid and what to take, like folic acid which you are already taking. The doctor will then put you in touch with your midwife for your booking in appointment. Where I live this booking in appointment happens at between 8 and 10 weeks.

At this appointment the midwife will go through your medical history, give you lots of information and take some blood. This is also when you will probably get booked in for your 1st scan.

Regard to the maternity leave, I don't know, but someone else on here will.

Hope this helps :D

Congratulations! You should definately see you doctor as a first step, he or she will be able to refer you to the midwife.
It's lovely that you have such a supportive boyfriend :D

congratulations :D

beingpregnant is a learning experience for everyone hun but everyone here will support you all the way.

go to your doctor and talk things through thats the first step.

Congratulations Jade (tell BF that you still need the bath running every night but that it works better with a massage afterwards!!)!!

You'll get lots of advice from the midwife but if you feel lost or worried then why not use NHS Direct? You can talk to a nurse over the phone anytime and the walk in centres are for advice as well as emergancies so you don't have to feel guilty.

If you want to know what thing feel like you can ask here - you're not the only first timer (see L plates below!).

Congratulations! You're about to embark on the most amazing time of your life. I'm really pleased your OH is being so supportive too! This is a great forum for first timers to welcome :D

congrats!!!it is a very exciting n scary time but we are all here to support u n answer any questions u may have. :D

Congrats hunni, you certainly came to the right place here! This forum is amazing and invaluable for support, questions, worries!

I had to book a Doctors appointment where he asked me a few questions and told me what to avoid etc and how to book my midwife appointment. All I had to do was fill a form out and now Im waiting for her to call me.

As Happybunny said about Maternity Leave & Pay this is also what my company offers. Some companies have extra bonus and benefits too so you'd have to ask your employer. Im nearly 5weeks pregnant but have already told my employer as I think if I need time off for apoointments and sick they should know and also they have to do risk assesments so that we are safe. I told them in writing and asked to keep it confidential at the moment only telling people who have to know. They sent me a lovely letter today giving me all the details on Maternity Pay / Leave as it wasnt in my contract.

Have a very healthy and happy 8more months hunni

xxx

The others have answered your questions really well so- :wave: Hello! Your OH sounds great!

+++

just wanted to say hello, congratulations and as the others have answered your questions i'll just add that this forum is an excellent place for advice, help and tips. as well as just a good place to come for support. :hug:

Congratulations!

im on my second. it is scary...... but well well worth it. good luck.

Oooh! One thing... make sure your baths aren't hot.. they should only be warm now you;re pregnant... you shouldn't do anything that will increase your internal body temperature :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back