first negative comment to our name choice...

petchy

Reaction score
so far we've only had positive comments to our choice of name for our little one (ruben), but today at work one girl was very blunt and said "oh no, i don't like that! poor boy will be bullied at school with a name like that!" fair enough, she's entitled to her opinion, and of course it's down to personal taste, but i was a little taken aback at how rudely she told me! she thinks it's "too unusual, and a little gay" apparently.

everyone else has said what a lovely name they think it is (and obviously we think it is too!) and i hope they're not just saying that...

nevermind, i never really liked that girl anyway - now i definitely don't like her!! lol

That was very rude of her!!! Id have been really upset. The most important thing is that you both like it, I think its a very strong and handsome name.
Im pretty sure people think god how boring is Charlotte (what weve chosen!!) but we like it and it has reasons.
I appricate that people have opinions but please ignore people who havent got the mannors to keep their mouths shut.
Take care xxx

hiya,

I agree with Hels. I can't believe how rude and tactless people can be, they need to be smacked!! Not everyone likes the same name but thats just as well or we would all be called the same thing! Go with what you like and don't worry what anyone else says, besides there's nothing wrong with Ruben.
Hels, we both like the name Charlotte but as out surname is Onions (i know - don't laugh!!! our poor kid is going to get bullied with a name like that :( :shock: ) we can't really have it. We have to be really careful with names and initials, can't have any names beginning with B ( initials would be B,O!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: )

Nicki.xx :D

You know, it's funny, but nobody ever comments on a girl's name sounding gay.

My brother ( a solid, sensible citizen normally) had a hissy fit when I told him we were considering Fergus for a boy and told me "That's a name for a big, fat, gay guy!"

Okay, number one, he must know a big fat gay guy with that name. Number two, I would love my child if he were big, fat, gay or all three, bless him. And number three, Fergus doesn't sound gay to me...but there you go...no accounting for some peoples' attitudes really, is there?

Ruben is a lovely name, so biblical. I thought about it myself, but it doesn't really go with our surname, so better not.

Charlotte is also a lovely name. My father had an aunt called Charlotte, I always think of really pretty hair ornaments and sepia photographs when I hear the name. And it's Carlotta in Spanish, or Lottie for short. Beautiful.

Sue

People are rude over names my phillosphy and I am not normally like this is who cares. When we named our little girl Niamh we had a lot (and I mean a lot) of negative comments and we had already named her. Now we get lots of people who say how nice the name is, including those who hated it at first. I think names grow on people and you are best just to choose name you like. In Holland people don't tell you the names they have chosen so that no one gets chance to comment on it and put you off. I like Eammon for a boy but everyone hates this. It has not put me off and as far as I am concerned WHO CARES!!

Well. the name Ruben, when I close my eyes I picture a hunky American doctor.

Its like judging a book by its cover, it just cant be done, its the person and their qualities that make the name. People that judge first hand arent the kind of people you should bother about anyways. Everyone has different tastes and you cant make everyone happy, but the people who love and care about your family will like it and see why you do too!

V xXx

"Well. the name Ruben, when I close my eyes I picture a hunky American doctor."

lol, this made me giggle!!! well, my son might turn out to be a hunk (i'm sure the laydees won't complain!!) and if he turns out to become a doctor as well then i'll be well proud!! the only thing he definitely won't be is american - although with OH's and my mix of nationalities he certainly will be multicultural! :D

thanks for your comments ladies, to be honest this girl isn't one whose opinion i tend to value on anything else (ooh, get me bitching...!) so i won't on this matter either!! lol

Mil asked what other names we had when we told her our choice. That confirmed for me that we'd chosen the right name 110%!

Some people are ignorant asses Petchy, she's probably jealous that you're having a lovely little baby and was trying to burst your bubble on purpose, vindictive little c*w. I think it's a great name, different without being chavishly different and it rolls off the tongue fabulously!

Why are people so damn rude?

I love the name Ruben, and even if I didnt I certainly would as rude to say. At the end of the day that little bundle is YOUR baby and you can call YOUR baby whatever you would like.

I had the same with the name Aidan which we are going to call our little one if he/she is a little boy. Was a very close member of my family that commented that it was "Irish"....and my answer was "And ?" My name is Norweigan (named after my great grandmother) but apart from my name we have nothing whatsover to do with Norway.

Ruben isnt even that unusual and not like my name !! which has haunted me all my life !! Hence my children have very bog standard names Adam, Nikki, Jodie, Leah and Beth.

Just ignore everyone and take no notice and I agree she is most probably jealous.

Ragna xxxx

Well i like Ruben and dont think it sounds gay in the slightest. :D

It makes me think of a gorgeous european type guy with loads of money!

we have had loads of horrible comments about our name choices and just have had to ignore them as the miserable people that hated the names suggested names that we hated lol! So everyone has a different view and its a good jod otherwise all the kids at school would have the same name.

I like Ruben! :D

I love Reuben, it was what we were going to name ours if it had been a boy, after my OH father. Go with it, it's lovely!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back