First consultant appointment..

PeanutButter

Reaction score
Hi,
I have my first consultant appointment on Friday due to me being high risk, because of recurrent miscarriges and my BMI is over what it should be.
Was wondering what happens there, how long it lasts, will I have more appointments?
Thanks xx

hi PB

they will just check you over make sure everything is progressing correctly, you will get more scans and they will monitor you

i see the consultant every month as im at higher risk or pre and postnatal depression

i think they are great way to ask any questions you may have about the pregnancy etc, and they will check baby over if you ask them too, last one i had little man was quiet and she listened in saying he was just hiding behing my placenta and she was happy with his HB etc

I'm consultant led too (also for recurrent mc and this being a treatment baby). I see them every 4 weeks. Basically some midwives check blood pressure and urine like normal then I get a growth scan and finally the consultant pops in for about 5 mins (after making you wait around long enough to get the car park charge into the next band up!) to say keep taking asprin. So far that has been it but all my results have been normal so I assume if they weren't they would discuss that.

Hey PB,

im consultant led as my BMI would go over 'normal' range during pregnancy. I had booking app at 9 weeks this took around 1 hour half and was advised not to gain more than 11KG, 12 week scan, 16 week consultant app, 20 week scan (re scan at 22 weeks as they couldnt take all the measurements) 24 week consultant, 28 week growth scan, 29 weeks GTT test, 29+4 consultant, 33 weeks (last week) consultant i then have a growth scan booked for 20th Feb (35 weeks) then consultant 27th Feb (36 weeks) the rest of my apps will be made after.

in my consultant apps she checks BP, urine, weight, measures bump and listens to his heartbeat.

Snowbee, you're spot on with the parking!! i worked out (so far) its been in excess of £80/100

good luck with your appointments PB, im not sure if they do things different for ladies with who have had previous losses.

wishing you a healthy pregnancy!

xx

Last edited:
We have been under the fertility clinic for years now and I haven't dared to add up the car parking charges...

On top of my consultant appointments (ever 4 weeks) I see my midwife every two weeks as well. She does blood pressure, urine, measures bump, listens to heartbeat. Luckily not all of these appointments are at the hospital otherwise I may as well just move in!

Im moving to stoke on Saturday and will need to book in again with everyone, obviously different hosp diff ways of doing things, worried theyre just gonna be like your fine, dont need consultant now. :/
I like the idea of having extra scans, i was getting a scan weekly until 11 weeks with my recurrent miscarriage consultant, but hes discharged me back to regular antenatal now, but even then 3-4 days after the scan my anxiety would get bad and id spend basically the whole day crying cos i think the baby has died. I have a doppler and can hear the HB but baby is so active and i think s/he hates it when something is on him her cos as soon as i put it on and get the HB swoosh gone, does the same when i have scans wont stay still! They haven't been able to get a proper measurement since baby started moving around in there, idk if this is normal, and if itll be like this all the time? I have my dating scan on thursday i honesty dont think theyll be able to do it :/ Last scan baby was doing forward rolls is it just cos theres loads of room atm?
I was told once you hit 12 weeks the chances of MC are really low, im 12 today so thats good news (still feel like something is gonna go wrong) my RMC consultant said baby looks very healthy and he honestly thinks all my MCs were 'bad luck' but im taking asprin this time sooo im abit like well i dont think so... lol xx sorry long post :lol:

Mine has always been really active at scans making it tricky to measure. They get there in the end! Mine was doing little flips at our 12 week scan, which was pretty cool to watch.

You are correct, after 12 weeks your mc chances are really low, most happen much sooner. Happy 12 weeks to you!

I also have a consultant appointment in a few weeks cos of BMI. Not really looking forward to it cos I assume I'm just gonna be told off. Seems pretty pointless to me as I can't lose weight now and I lost 2st in the 6 months before getting pregnant again!

I also lost 2 stone before getting preg heh! Ive actually lost weight since being pregnant, ive not had an appetite at allive lost about 6lbs now. My midwife actually told me to loose weight, not on a diet just to eat healthy, its pretty hard when all i want is sweets coated in sugar & pickles onion monster munch or nothing at all lmao.

I dont think they tell you off do they? I hope not :( I wont wanna go back...I dont even see why, its not like you can do anything about it once your pregnant. xx

I hear stories of people on here who get horrible condescending consultants... I can't be arsed with that. I was also worried about my mw appt for the same reason, but she was lovely.

I wish I had lost weight during! I haven't had any sickness, but instead was reeeeeally tired so overcompensated with food. Appetite is less now, but I like food too much ha :)

My midwife said i was fat :( She told me to stand on scales and said "oh better take your boots off, we dont want you weighing more then you already do" then said "oh your classed as high risk, not just because of your MCs but your bmi is too much over aswell" but really bitchy/condescending. Im moving soon so wont have her. I hope my consultant is nice... I have anxiety anyways and rarely know what to say to people so keep quiet and just nod, Hubby will be there to stick up for me heh. xx

I don't think I look as heavy as I am, which is kinda good and bad. I wish I got to take my shoes off though! My mw didn't even know how to use the scales, so I reckon I was under 35 really.

I don't get why they can be so rude :( It's hardly helpful!

Last edited:
I think your allowed to take them off if you want? I had odd socks on and didnt wanna ahahaha. Weigh yourself at home an use NHS bmi calculator... I think they'll weigh you again at your first appointment i assume?

I was working in customer service, so im used to the fat comments, but personally i dont think i look that large tho. Im in the 13 stones... I should be around 10 for my height, everyone i talk to says i dont look that fat, im obese apparently, i dont think they take your body shape into consideration, i have a large frame! Not the big bones stuff but i am quite manly pmsl!! Im 5'7 and trying to get a womens jacket to fit me is unreal, long torso, long arms, mens fit so much better. I wanna be petite! heh.

Ah I'm short too, only 5'1 and a bit :p But still about the same weight as you. Maybe I'm just in denial about how big I actually look ha.

I wish i was 5'1 :( its cute to be small aha! Im the same height as hubby and all the men in my family and tower over the women, i just didnt stop growing lol.
I think some people do carry weight better! Which makes them look less chubby. I carry alot in my legs, i cant find boots that will zip up over my fat, but my belly looks fine. xx

Ah I hate being short!! Feel like I look like a child sometimes. Mine is mostly on my tummy and boobs ha. So I don't think I'll show for ages

Just have to add - I'm 4'11"!!! Excess weight does not in any way look good on me!!! My bmi was 31 when I got pregnant but my midwife hasn't mentioned anything. It's now 35 and I'm only 26 weeks :/ every time I see the midwife I hide in baggy clothes! I exercise a lot, so I feel ok in myself. I'm hoping for a home birth so we shall see xx

I was weighed at booking in (and as I had bloated up I had put quite a bit of weight on eek). The midwife who was doing my booking in was significantly larger than me and didn't really comment at all. I have since been weighed after I failed my gtt but noone commented then either, I said I really needed a wee and to knock some off for that lol. I don't know why they feel the need to be bitchy about it, what the hell are you supposed to do anyway? Head off for surgery and a crash diet?! I don't see the point in making you feel like crap. All my regular midwife has said is that I will most likely measure a bit big due to having a bit of extra padding, but she isn't worried about it.

I'm also really short but am broad, muscular and have huge boobs and thighs. My GP has never commented on my weight apart from when we were referred to the fertility clinic and she weighed me, she was really surprised how heavy I was as she said I didn't look that heavy at all. I think BMI is a very inaccurate way to judge someone, it is a shame we are all forced into the same box when there are clearly many different body shapes.

Wow, I feel like a giant :( I have tiny boobies, they have grown because they get bigger everytime i get preg but didn't get bk down, with this preg I'm finally in a cup C how exciting ha! I don't put weight on my chest, i was 16 stone at one point and you could still see my collar bones sticking out lol. I have big hips and bum, and legs I think everything else is in proportion heh xD xx

I have my first one tomorrow and I'm dreading it. I also have GD which I haven't had before. This is my 3rd baby and only time being under a consultant. Also have a higher bmi. Crapping myself is an understatement I'm tall so even though I'm heavy I carry it well so I don't look so big but my midwife didn't say anything so hoping the consultant won't be 2 bad. I'm almost 15wks and have only put on 2lb so I think I'm doing ok with that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back