high risk because of mental health?

Did anyone take any medication for depression etc during their pregnancy? I was put on the 'amber' list which is just to keep an eye on me because of past issues with depression and they didnt want me to get anti-natal depression. I've been given some medication though as my mood has gone down and I've had quite a bit of anxiety/stress lately. I don't really want to take it though because I'm not sure that it's good for my baby :/ The doctor said there are plenty of patients who are pregnant who have taken it etc and they are all fine, but she had to look in a wee book on her desk to make sure it was okay for me to take the medication in my second trimester: which didn't give me much confidence. Any help etc would be great.

Just wanted to say that the high risk factor comes in part from the medications used to control mental illness and the affect it can have on the baby. There are potential risks with certain meds during pregnancy but also at birth where they can cause, for example, withdrawal in the baby or the side effects of the drugs can mask symptoms of other problems the may may have. The MW is there to look after you but the main priority is the safety of the baby (that's what I got told anyway!) I was on tablets for depressive illness during two of my pregnancies and have automatically been referred for consultant care for this one. A bit unnecessary, I feel, and will be telling the consultant that at my appointment!

The doctor said there are plenty of patients who are pregnant who have taken it etc and they are all fine, but she had to look in a wee book on her desk to make sure it was okay for me to take the medication in my second trimester: which didn't give me much confidence. Any help etc would be great.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Dr having to check. Very few GPs are experts in mental health issues in pregnancy so wouldn't be aware of what meds are ok to prescribe and which ones are not. Its better to double check than to get it wrong. :) she is right though, lots of women are on antidepressants during pregnancy. The research shows there is very little risk during the pregnancy but that the risk does get a little higher at the third trimester and birth, which is why some women are weaned off towards their due dates, if it is thought appropriate. Basically they weigh up the risk to the baby of taking it vs the risk to the mother of not taking it. Also with some antidepressants you can't breastfeed so if you are still on them at the birth, make sure the midwife is aware. It should be in your notes but it can easily be missed so I made sure I told them on arrival. X

Hey hun, just wanted to post a little support, hope you and baby are doing well and that you are getting all the support you need xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back