First consultant appointment...

MrsS15

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Looking for a bit of help from you all. We've decided to go privately for some help as getting nowhere with my GP. She said because we have an 8 year old together we basically won't get any help, despite being almost 2 years into trying for number 2. She even said we should just be grateful we have one :( that devastated me, she has no idea how thankful I am every day I have my son.

Ive had my AMH bloods taken last week through the private hospital and tomorrow we have our first appointment with the consultant. What can we expect from this? What will she ask/do? Is there anything we should ask? I'm suddenly dreaming about everything that could go wrong i.e. Telling us she won't help, I'm too fat to get any help (I'm not, it's just an example of how irrational I'm being!!)

Any help/information you can give me would be much appreciated :) xxx

It is fairly standard criteria to only offer treatment to couples who have no living children, there are a couple of exceptions around the country I believe but it is certainly the case at our clinic.

They will definitely not say they can't help you so don't worry about that! I don't know what testing you have already had done but my clinic do many bloods, ultrasound and hsg as a kick off for the ladies and two SAs for the men, three months apart. Once they have all those results they will discuss treatment plans with you (or possibly further testing if anything has been flagged up) and look into what is most suitable for you.

They will ask about your cycle, if you are regular etc. Also check your diet and weight. Ours also asked about what we did as some occupations are higher risk for conception.

Of course I understand that, hence why we're going private! I just thought it didn't warrant what she said about us being lucky we have one.

I've had ultrasounds and some bloods. My husband has had 1 SA done which they said they were happy with as long as we bring the results. She never said about repeating another but he had it done over 3 months ago so could easily be repeated.

I didn't think about occupation etc!

Thanks for your help x

I've just had an appointment with a fertility consultant, although NHS. They just asked about our fertility history and basic health questions. They have requested i do more bloods, a HSG x-ray and my DH will do anther SA. They booked another appointment for 3 months -.-

Good luck tomorrow, hope they can offer more help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back