Feeding Marathon. Ugh.

moss

Reaction score
Jacob's appetite has gone up SO much lately. He is needing to be fed every two hours (or thereabout) and the sessions are lasting for around an hour. Last night was really bad. He normally sleeps 10-5 or 6 but last night I fed him at 9, then at 11, then at 3:45, 6, and from 8 until 9:40! An almost two hour session! Then, this morning at 11 he wanted to be fed again... and he was SCREAMING for it. He stopped at about 12 and reguritated a large amount of it. I can't take it! Normally I try not to complain about this because he is a big boy and he needs me and it's my job, etc... but this is getting difficult. My arms are killing, I feel so drained and also, there is one thing that I really dislike about feeding that makes me feel more like a machine than a mother. Jacob doesn't like me to speak or do anything when I feed him. If I try to talk he stops looks up at me and grunts. If I keep talking he will stop and yell. I got around this by talking online, but now if I move too much to type he does the same thing. So not only am I feeding him seemingly non-stop, but I have to sit there perfectly still and in silence. Please help! This is really getting me down!

Could it possibly be a growth spurt? At his age Angel was feeding 2 hourly anyway, and on a growth spurt every hour.
As they get older they get to be a bit of a pro and do it in 15-20mins. Keep at it, it'll get better.

He sounds like he has a right personality on him though. Bless him.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

It sounds as if he is having a growth spurt with the increase in his feeds, usually they only last a few days then settle once he has increased your milk. (the 4 month growth spurt is longer but no need to worry bout that yet)

If your arms are aching is there any way ou can make it more comfortable for you, loads of pillows supporting you and baby or feed lying down for some of his feeds.

As for his dislike of you doing things whilst feeding i can sympathise, Calleigh started to do this quite early on, so i just made sure i was sat with the tv remote to find something i can watch, however nowadays i cant even do that as madam wants to watch it too but feed at the same time :roll:

It probably is a growth spurt. I use a widgey (sp?) in bed but in the livingroom there is only one good place to feed him and it doesn't fit the pillow. I'm getting a new sofa pretty soon... Hopefully that will be better. I feed him laying down in bed once in a while but that tends to take even longer, either because he's very comfortable or because of all of the milk that comes out of his nose! :shock:

Defo sounds like a growth spurt.

I just used to use a normal pillow to put Galen on as my arms used to get knackered holding on to my biff boy. He'd feed for 2 hours plus every hour or so the first month. I was shattered. But I got through it. And all the big growth spurts after this.

And I know what you mean about feeling like a machine with the demand and behaviour. Try to remember its one of those feelings that happen when adjusting to motherhood. Many of us have felt it. I just used to set myself up with a book or a DVD or something if I knew I was in for a marathon feeding session. Radio is also good as LO slowly gets used to hearing talking and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back