New feeding tactic for Joseph

lauramumof2

Reaction score
I went to the health visitor today because Im at the end of my tether with the feeding and sleeping. For those who dont know the saga, Joe feeds small amounts very very frequently and wont go for much more than 2.5 hours at night. He is taking more than 30oz a milk but is practically getting fed dribbles all the time. I always thought that you should feed on demand but my hv has given me a new strategy to try

Ive to let him go at least 3 hours between feeds, 3 and a half hours at a push. She says he is wanting his tummy to be constantly full by getting topped up but this is not good for him and the fact he is not letting his tummy empty is giving him a sore tummy and wind (a problem he he has). She says he will cry and that I have to let him, he can get water but that even if it means letting him cry it out he has got to go the 3 hours.

So, I started straight away.
Fed him at 11.30am and my mum took him out. He slept till 3 ish and then got fed and took 4oz at once. He finished the feed at 4.14.
I took him home and fed him again at 8. He took 5oz and went down to bed without a squeak.
Im just going to lift him soon for a dream feed.

The hard bit today was about 6ish. Normally I would give in and feed him, he would take an oz and be unhappy and this would continue till bedtime but once he got to about 6.45 he was a bit more settled, it was as if he realised he wasnt getting milk.

Soooooo, lets see how he gets on during the night. I shall report in the morning!

I'm not being horrible, but I thought it was normal for a very young baby to only go upto 2.5 hours between feeds because their bellies are so teeny?

Good luck though :)

I also thought this was normal but he wasnt always even making the 2.5 hours, he would take an oz then not take any more but not be happy then want comforted with another oz therefore always wanting topped up.

Overnight he slept from 12 till 3.45 (thats good for Joe!) then from 4.15 till 7 (also good) and on both times took 4oz and has been settled after.

He is a big boy, got him weighed yesterday and he was 13lb. He had went from the 50th centile to the 91st :shock:

I am pleased that this new strategy seems to be working for you hun. You will feel better with more sleep too. good luck, I hope it continues!

Xxx

Ellie is a similar age to your LO and I feed her (BF) normally around 7:30, 10:30, 13:30, 16:30, 18:00, 19:30, 23:30, 3:30. These times vary occasionally and sometimes she ends up with an extra feed on top of that as occassionally she is extra hungry and demands a feed at 12:30. I am aiming for a 3hrs routine during the day and a ~4hr one at night but she seems to need the extra feed early evening, I wonder if that is due to my milk supply running a bit low in the later afternoon? She was weighed today at 11lb 7oz - so not doing as well as your LO but still doing well and steadily gaining weight. So I am sure yours will be fine.

Hun really glad to hear u had a good night, that plan sounds like a great one, think i might try it with alastiar if he has not settled in a week or so cos Joe sounds like what Alastiar is dong with his feeds.

Hope things continue to improve for u hun :hug:

Nicky - Ella used to clusterfeed in the early evenings for a few months. she'd be on constantly for over 2 hour. Most breastfed babies will feed a lot more in the early evenings :)

Hi

Hope this works for you Kiara always ate about every 2 hours at that age lol
Katrina

Ohhh fingers crossed it's working out for you!

Thanks girls,
Im very pleased to say that Joe is like a different baby. He is feeding better when he gets fed and is happy after and in between he is happily taking some water. He is doing more no2's and doesnt seem in pain with the colic as much. He also seems happier in himself.

He slept 5 hours :shock: last night. He stayed with Granny last night as mum and dad were acting like teenagers and going to concerts and getting drunk.

When he got weighed last wednesday he was 13lb so heavens knows what he will be like on Wednesday coming.

:cheer:

yay im sooo happy for ou hunni, so HV was a good help :)

im glad he is a happier baby.

happy baby happy mummy :cheer:

That's great news Laura.

I can't believe what a big boy he is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member