Feeding B!

twinkles

Reaction score
I have a baby that loves her grub! She's 6 months today so started her about 2 weeks ago on mushy stuff but lumpy! Now she's on 3 meals a day, she has 3/4 cubes of fruit in the morning, 3/4 cubes of veg with 2/3 cubes of pudding at lunch and the same at dinner! What can I start feeding her now other than fruit and veg?? Should she be having snacks now too? She will munch on banana or pear/apple chunks but pretty clueless when it comes to the next steps?! X

Try some finger food hun, perhaps some roasted veg, cut up cucumber, peppers, fruit or sandwiches if you're feeling up to it. Will teach dexterity and fine motor skills.

Snacks are fine too, but careful on the sugar/salt content.
Xx

After 6 months your pretty much free to give her anything? You can start introducing Dairy, and Gluten? Cauliflower cheese was a big hit at 6 months for us.
Toast with butter, philidelphia spread? It just depends how comfortable you are. Are you BLW or TW?
Xx

Doing a bit of both, she has had a few different fruits and veg now and u give her finger food like apple, banana to hold and eat... It's knowing where to go next! X

hey twinkles :) i gave to amelie until now, chicken and beef stew with loads of vegetables inside and a little pasta or rice to thicken (usually give those puree because of the meat inside), yogurt, yogurt with fruit, pastas with feta cheese and butter and a various combinations of fruits and vegetables.
i give her some finger food too, mostly nowdays easy to clean things (i know its terrible of me to think like that but no time to clean a proper disaster while studying). so she has rice cakes, organic baby puffs, toast, toast wit philadelphia, toast with a little gem, homemade banana and carrot muffins, shop bought croissants (thanks lolly for the fabulous idea), orange (she refuses to hold that one because its wet :roll: so she shouts at me until i pick it and hold it for her to gum it :roll:)
next on my list to try is lamb, rein meat, fish, egg (still very nervous about that so i may wait one more month for that one)

she usually has
morning: a combination of 3-4 fruits with baby rice if needs thickening (she hates even remotely runny purees)
snack: a finger food
lunch: a chicken beef stew (eventually i will do 2 days chicken/turkey, 1 day beef, 1 day lamb, 1 day fish, 2 days no protein meal)
snack: a finger food
dinner: usually is baby porridge/homemade oatmeal as i found that 2 vegetable meals where too hard on her tummy, fruits not so ideal for night sleeping so i was out of ideas, tried baby porridge for a week and worked fine (eventually to be replaced with a proper meal i suppose when she can handle it better)

not doing frozen foods, cooking every 2 days for her, so i dont know how many cubes etc she is eating but she dosentreally like food, or milk or anything that gets her out of her playtime :roll: probably thats why she loves so much finger food, she eats with one hand and plays with the other :faint:

Thanks hope!!! It's a big jump from milk to all this food....! So far she's had pear, apple, pineapple, raspberries, banana, broccoli, potato and carrot, usually with baby rice, I make it lumpy and give her bits of these as finger food...now she's 6 months I want to try proper food! Like meats, fish, weetabix, toast, pasta!! Do I still stick everything in the wizzer so it's not big pieces but more lumpy??

Hope your both well!!!

Twinkles according my medical books lumps should be introduced at around 7-8 m as an ordinary thing and the reason is not the choking hazard actually with lumps but that bigger pieces of food ingested like that (not properly chewed) are harder to digest or not able to digest at all as babies lack some of the enzymes to brake some of the ingredients down. It says there to offer quite mashed things until then but also some lump sometimes and finger food to allow baby to get used to some texture in food and learn to chew.

Babies that do pure BLW I think they handle food a little better as they properly learn to chew it before swallowing it.

That's what I read, what I do is to offer a purée food (the one with the meat), a lumpier food like mashed with fork avocado and banana and finger food for snacks. In a couple of weeks I will start introducing lumps in the purée food like a purée where I add some little pastas (not mashed) slowly increasing the lumps until she has chopped in little pieces food at around 9 m (hopefully teeth too until then lol)

That's only my plan though I see no reason why not to offer whatever texture you want if she can handle it:)
Amelie chews quite ok finger food now so probably she can handle lumps too soon. (I think it's quite different when you spoon feed then that instead of finger food as they got used to purée food with the spoon so they may spit it out)

Weetabix just goes a nice texture when you add milk and mash it with a fork. I sometimes add some mashed banana.
Toast I just butter and let him suck.
Iv given him finger foods from 6 months but mixed purée's too... Although he's 7.5 months now and runny purée's frustrate him. He's had lumpy purée's since about just before 7 months. I have a tommee tippee blender that has 3 settings. Purée's, stage 1 lumps and stage 2 lumps.
W loves strawberrys, and tangerines to hold and eat. Banana just gets squashed!
Cauliflower cheese was a good one to start.
Ready break?xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back