Feeding a big baby

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Mrsmac1507, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Mrsmac1507

Mrsmac1507 Well-Known Member

Someone told md they were advised at birth not to bf their babies as they were too large 10lb and 12 lb and she wouldn't be able to satisfy them. Would this be right? Im prepared for having a big baby too and would be really upset of I was told this.

2. Nicnax

Nicnax Well-Known Member

That is bizarre! Your body produces what your baby needs- I think the weight of the baby is irrelevant. My little lady is near the 91st centile, but eats the same expressed breastmilk as her little friend who is on the 25th centile (obviously I don't know what she is taking directly from the breast). I wouldn't worry- I think it's quite rare to genuinely not produce enough. :)

3. Claire123

Claire123 Well-Known Member

Never heard that one before! My little girl was 9lb 14oz and has been breastfed from birth, shes 5 months now and thriving! Our bodies are soo clever and make as much as our babys need xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

4. Vickyxx

Vickyxx Well-Known Member

Load of bull hun my nephew was 10lb 4oz and he was exclusively breastfed ... your body learns how much milk it needs to make thats why the first few weeks are the hardest your baby is upping your milk supply.

Don't listen to the negative comments hun breastfeeding is amazing bloody hard work but totally worth it just knowing your feeding your baby and giving them the best start xx

5. Mrsmac1507

Mrsmac1507 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, wasn't convinced by this explanation, iv noticed that when u ask others if they breastfed they feel uncomfortable telling you why they chose not to, I totally respect that bfeeding is not for everyone, and I definitely don't want it to come across as judgemental if I ask the question.

6. Karate Kid

Karate Kid Well-Known Member

Wss Hun, stick to your guns if you would like to
    Bf then go for it. I genuinely love BFing C xx

7. Nutsyputs

Nutsyputs Well-Known Member

My ds was 10lb when born and I ebf. He's on the 91st centile. He probably feeds more often than a smaller baby but other than the initially weight loss he has gained weight consinstley.

8. beckyboo1

beckyboo1 Well-Known Member

Rubbish I bf my son for nearly a year and he was 10lb 10oz at birth!!

9. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

If they had their kids years ago, it had a really really stupid HCP it's possible.

But it really is a load of rubbish!! Your body produces what your LO needs!

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

10. BevG

BevG Well-Known Member

this is totally untrue, i bf'd my 10lb 14oz baby and the only problem was her being too sleepy at first, not my supply. you make as much as they need if you just allow them to feed as much as they want the first 6 weeks odd. their demand dictates supply, and if they seem to need to feed all the time its because theyre increasing supply, not because theyre not gettign enough