Extending feeds

I agree I just wanted to pass along a wee tip that worked for me that was all I don't expect anyone or everyone to follow it or that's its gonna work for every baby..

Sorry newbie aswell - I hope your wee one settles into a routine too.

And if I came across as rude, I wasn't being rude - forums can look as if its cheeky I was just answering what people were asking me xxxx

Here we go again with the bitching. Why can't people just support and respect each others opinions??????

A lot on here need to bloody grow up. Yet again another thread turning nasty.

It's awful on here ATM.

Support each other, not bitch and put each other down. It's not what it's about.

And if you don't like a thread DON'T BLOODY COMMENT!

I think this is why I dont feel very confident to post anymore. :( love reading everyday but hate that people can't give their opinions without this x

Wow...

It would seem I stuck my head into a minefield... :/

Anyway... My two-cents-worth -

Newbie, RM, Sophs, myself, and my friend whose baby was due the same day as mine (let's call her C).

Newbie has asked a question about extending feeds with water, and has information to help he decide.

RM uses water to combat reflux.

Sophs uses water to help constipation.

I tried water to extend Cays feed, but he spat it back at me.

C used water to successfully extend her LOs feeds to 4 hours through the day, and sleep from 8:30pm - 6am, with a feed at 2am only.

Cay is just over 6 weeks, C's LO is just over 7 (born a week early).
C's sister is a midwifery consultant in London. It was her that said to C to offer water, as long as anytime LO shouted for food, she was given milk straight away.
It took C three days to nail the routine.

Like I said, I tried water, Cay's just not interested.

If you want to give your baby water, go for it.
If you don't, don't.
If you want to speak to a HV before deciding, then do that.

Does it need to be a big freakin argument? Xx

I agree I just wanted to pass along a wee tip that worked for me that was all I don't expect anyone or everyone to follow it or that's its gonna work for every baby..

And if I came across as rude, I wasn't being rude - forums can look as if its cheeky I was just answering what people were asking me xxxx

I dont think you were rude, I think this thread seems to have gone down like the titanic!!! Xx

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk 2

Wowzers all over some water. Motherhood is stressful! X

Yeah over some cooled boiled water.
In any case newbie will.decide for herself, hopefully she isnt scared away by people arguing over water

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I think weve all gathered that this has snowballed.
I think that the OPs question should now be the main focus, as it should have been all along lol x

Listen I've made some great friends from this forum, hopefully friends for life,but think I'm going to stop using this section as it's a bit of "I raise my baby better than you raise yours" type thing.
Newbie I hope you get the advice u need.

Last edited:
Listen I've made some great fiends from this forum, hopefully friends for life,but think I'm going to stop using this section as it's a bit of "I raise my baby better than you raise yours" type thing.
Newbie I hope you get the advice u need.

:(:(:(

Talk about handbags at dawn ladies!!!

Right I'll offer my advice as baby was severely constipated when we switched from breastmilk to formula.

Most HV's (3 out of 4) agreed that water 1-2oz a day was fine to help James' bowels move. Our GP agreed.

A different HV suggested I offer him an oz or two before every feed. James fed 5 times a day so that was potentially 10oz's of water a day!! I clarified it with said HV as I thought I'd misheard. She even wrote it in my red book (she wrote 'I recommend offering cooled boiled water before every feed'). HV also told me it would help extending the length of time between James' feeds.

I decided against the advise of that HV and after a few weeks of 2oz's of water a day James started doing regular poo's so we don't bother with the water at all anymore.

Personally as James is following his line I have no inclination to spread his feeds further apart.

Maybe RM has been asked to do this though as she mentions baby is 'overfeeding'?

That's just my tuppence worth :roll:

You decided what you're going to do newbie? Lol. Glad we could be so helpful xxxxx

I dont think you were rude, I think this thread seems to have gone down like the titanic!!! Xx

Yes deffo lol its sunk alright, loads of threads r these days :p xxx

Tuppence!! Haha!
Sorry, not appropriate! Xx

Well for those of you who actually want to know he was screaming after 2 hours from his last feed. gave him water (shock horror, it's water it's not going to harm him!) and he spat it straight back up so we are now back with the milk.

Thanks Russell for your advice I do appreciate it, guess it wasn't for us! Xxx

Well for those of you who actually want to know he was screaming after 2 hours from his last feed. gave him water (shock horror, it's water it's not going to harm him!) and he spat it straight back up so we are now back with the milk.

Thanks Russell for your advice I do appreciate it, guess it wasn't for us! Xxx

Sorry it didnt work, poor wee man. Hope he settles soon xx

Yeh Harry doesn't fall for the old water trick either! He's conned for about 3 or 4 sucks then he's like what the hellis this mum! Hoe he settles sweetie xx

Ok....... :shock: don't think there's any need for a punch-up over this!
Feeding is always a difficult subject, mummies feel passionately about how their babies get fed, it's our job. Can we try to get this back on-topic or - as has been mentioned several times- I'll close it.

OP, personally at 8 weeks I would continue to feed on demand. Unless like in RM's case there is a reflux issue or a constipation issue in which case contact your GP or HV. I don't think you should use water to try to put off feeding for longer at such a young age.

It might be the dreaded growth spurt, brace yourself,it will pass. I remeber the days when it felt like all.i.was doing was feeding and.changing nappies. Motherhood is so glam

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I used to have to trick James to have water :eh:

So I'd have a bottle of milk and a bottle of water... I'd alternate! (he is an excellent milk drinker so it didn't interfere)

He has wised up to it now though and refuses water full stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back