should i get him a dummy??

Melly+2

Reaction score
little man is constantly sucking his hands, as if he is hungry and is so grumbly, he loves to suck on my finger and it settles him no end, what do you think, i dont think its hunger as he feeds 2.5-3 hours???? and they are 5oz feeds

i personally would say yes but i think it all depends on what you think about the dummy... i know alot of people on here dont agree with dummies but i dont see anything wrong with them.I mean, if your planning on giving it LO to take it away in a couple of months i wouldnt think there was much point, But at certain times with my LO a dummy was a life saver :rotfl: ...

If you think it will help you then go for it but be prepared that he might not like it. Calum was just the same and it was driving me mad because he just wanted to suck all the time, either my boob or a finger he didn't care what so I thought a dummy would be a way to give us all a bit of peace but he just refuses to take it, he'd lick it and roll it round his mouth but wouldn't suck. You might have a better time if he's bottle fed, maybe he'll be more used to the taste/texture.

Saying that, Calum has "grown" out of it and only really sucks his fist when he's going to sleep now so it's up to you - I don't see any harm in it.

alex is fully bottle fed now and also just naws at the teet too which also made me think bout it, if he dont like it he dont like it i guess, the middy suggested it though so may try him

Josh used to suck his fingers and thumb so I gave him the dummy. The way I see it is that it'l be easier to get rid of the dummy then to stop him from sucking his thumb. Also its been a Godsend for calming him, he just had his 8 week injections today and his dummy settled him almost straight away.

Charmed said:
Josh used to suck his fingers and thumb so I gave him the dummy. The way I see it is that it'l be easier to get rid of the dummy then to stop him from sucking his thumb.

I gave Ben a dummy for the exact same reason. On the 3rd day he found his thumb & started sucking on it. I have a cousin who is 30 & still sucks her thumb. So I figure if he has a dummy then at least I'll have some sort of control over it.

Although, I will say that it can be a bit of a pain, as it constantly falls out & cries for it so we have run and put it back in.

my middy also said that sucking fingers leads to teeth coming forward

I am a dummy fan and found them a lifesaver when Rudy just wanted to suck when he was new. It took about a month for him to be able to keep it in properly but was fine when he learned. Now if it falls out he just picks it up and sticks it back in his mouth :lol:

So I say go for it, for Rudy it has been great and offered him a good source of comfort.

x

Melly+2 said:
my middy also said that sucking fingers leads to teeth coming forward

Not strictly true, me and my brother both sucked finger/thumb but it was my sister who didn't suck anything who needed to have a brace.

DD sucks her fingers but only when she's tired now, plus there is the incentive for them to take them out to eat/play etc. whereas with a dummy it's hands free but there's pros and cons to both and I think so long as you're on top of it then it won't be a problem.

Last edited:
I am a dummy fan

Me too :D Dummies are great soothers. Some peoples reactions to them amaze me. I have 2 children who had them. One i took away at just over a year as he was using it less and the other at 6 months . Neither of them had them in 24/7-jsut used them simply for what they are for-to soothe.

I would say try him with one as not all babies take to them. Good luck hun :D

zach was just the same while i was in the hospital, he wasn't hungry, but he'd suck on my fingers and fall straight asleep. i'm a huge dummy fan.

I couldnt survive without dunnies so if he needs one melly to chill him out - let him have one bless him.

Well i got him one. It was one of those that have the protector things attached if you get me, sort of folds out each side to reveat the teat? Anyways he likes his dummy althoughcant keep it in very well lol but the bloody protector thing leaves a red mark all the way round his mouth so i think im gonna try another one, any suggestions :D

My little one love the avent orthodontic ones, he won't take the tomee tipee ones I got him. :roll: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back