BF Q....demand feeds or some structure??

GregorysGirl

Reaction score
So Ive been feedin on demand for2weeks now n bf is well established.

Its goin ok but cnt help but hate the lack of structure t the day...and I know that tge word routine is swearing when spking if nubirns.

Anyway after re readin my baby whisperer book...it says thrte r 3methods of bf
1-on demand
2-every 2.5-3 hrs
3-Or to a strict schedule each day set by parents.
Just tried makin Mr A wait 2.5 hrs...n he fed for 40 mins which im hoping might make him sleep better.
I had to entertain him abit harderfor longer but he'll get used to it.

I really feel like with demand feedin im just givin him boob whenever I 'tnk he might b hungary'....when actually...fingers in mouth could mean a number of other things.
sometimes he was only feedin for 5 or 10mins as it was just 'cus it was there'

Im hoping it will possibly regulate his sleep/behaviour.

pls ....someone tell me theyve tried this n it worked?? also do i let him go longer than 2.5 thtu the nught uf ge will?
Joy xx

I fed on demand for 9 weeks and only now trying to stretch Tyler but that's only because he didn't do it himself naturally and is still feeding every hour but my doctor and HV have told me too. I do think the first 6 weeks you really need to take baby's lead as they are still very very little!

I think all those little 10 minute suckling sessions are important in the beginning to get your supply where it needs to be.

We're on demand sometimes up to hourly but when he sleeps he can sleep for 2-3hrs, if it's more than 3hrs I wake him up.

I was told not to let baby go for more than 5hrs in the night without feeding him in the beginning, but he had (and I think still has in my opinion) a problem with low blood sugar so he might be different. I don't set the alarm at night to wake up and he has slept for 7hrs before without incident.

Last edited:
I would wait till at least 6 weeks before trying to bring in a structure as that's how long it takes for your milk supply to get up to full capacity. Maybe have a chat with the hv though and see what she recommends.

I feed on demand, but Georgia's pretty much settled herself into a 2/3hr routine. But even then she sometimes only goes on for 5-10mins.

My worst nightmare would be a strict I know some people who have tried it and it impacted there lives sooo much, like when they could go out because they had to be able to feed/nap at specific times.

Xxx

i fed on demand at first and then tried stretching his feeds out thinking he was just cluster feeding, i know my LO has issues with latching now but after trying to stretch them out i found he got fussy on the breast and wasnt feeding well as he was over tired or just plain old pissed off so would only half feed, after a little while i noticed my milk drop and he is 15weeks now and i now offer feeds every 2 hours through the day just so he isnt too hungry he will get agitated when on the breast.

I know my situation is different due to tongue tie and latching problems but at 1 point he would feed 3-4 hours and i pushed him thinking the longer he would go the more he would feed and it backfired and i now choose to feed every 2hours as i dont wasnt to stop bf.

Your doing great to be breast feeding and i would do as other have suggested and feed on demand for the first 6weeks unless your HV advises otherwise.

x

I still feed on demand but we have had a kind of routine that Kynon has set himself, ok its every 2-3 hours but its been much the same since he was about 10 weeks. He does sometimes demand more or less so I just go with the flow its easier than a screaming baby! I agree with the others wait until at least 6 weeks if you go down a routine route to give your supply plenty of time to work efficiently and new babies tummys are not much bigger than a big marble so they need little and often day and night for the first few weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back