Expressing breast milk - some advice please!

andreag

Reaction score
Hi
charlotte is now 22 days old and breastfeeding is going well. The midwife has siad it would be ok to start expressing the odd bottle to get her used to it as I am gong back to work at 4.5 months (I'd also love a glass of wine but she has several feeds in the evening so this is not possible!).
I have an avent isis manual breast pump and have tried it a couple of times, but not got a drop out!
I know there are different times of day to do it, and warm showers etc help, so I am experimenting with the timings, but I really wanted to ask what it should feel like?
When Charlotte is latched on, the suction feels really strong, but with the pump, I can barely feel it. You can see the pump drawing my nipple in but there is very little sensation.
I do have very large breasts (G cup) - could this be a problem?

Thanks for your help
Andrea

hi hun, ive got the same pump. i can usually get about 4oz off a day.

warm flannels can help.

you know the rubber thing which goes onto the breast, make sure that is on well, and check once atatched, as i found it sometimes slipped off the plastic when in use.

you should certainly be able to feel it. it isnt painful, but the suction (depending on how hard you pump) is strong.

good luck, it takes practice to get lots off. :)

I tried 3 pumps before finally finding one i could get on with... it used to frustrate me cos i could hand express more than the pump.. now im getting 4-5oz's gladly, i use the tommie tippie pump, closer to nature!

I started of with the Tommee Tippee closer to nature one, but I found the Avent one easier to use as it required less pumping to get the same amounts off and when I was having to pump off upto 14oz a day it really made a difference.

I found the morning the best time to pump of milk, I usually did it just after her first feed on the morning. Another tip I have heard is that it often helps to latch your LO on one breast and pump from the other as they help stimulate let down. I only did it like that once and that was when I hadn't been able to express at work because of meetings, and she kept trying to swat it off my other breast :) however she was around 8months then.

I've got a Medela pump. Have only tried to express once, today at lunch time, and managed to get just under 1oz off. :oops: Hopefully this will increase in time. :pray:

it should increase hun. i usually get 20z in the morning then another two later in the day. i think it is practice :)

thanks for the tips. I have been practicing and seem to have got the hang of it. I got 3.5 oz off yesterday morning (but it took an hour) while feeding charlotte and 3oz last night after a bath. she took from the bottle fine and demolished the lot in about 5 mins! I got 6oz off this morning (it was a bit quicker), so if I can get another 3 tonight and the same tomorrow I'll feel safe to have a drink and let daddy do the feeding on saturday night! I know i aound like a raving alkie but uts been soooo long and I miss my wine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back