Exclusively expressing

Don't feel guilty. The first night home from the hospital I slept and Tyler was FF overnight by my OH! That sleep did me the world of good and I think contributed to my success bfing so far. If it's not going to effect your supply take every break you can as it'll help you relax and express in the long run :)

I managed to express last night, I just used all my energy doing that and couldn't stay awake to then feed him! Lol

The nurses are always going on at me to let them feed him during the night, but I'm Able to do so little for him at the minute it's about the only thing that makes me feel like a mummy!

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

awww sounds like your doing a fab job dont feel guilty,hows ur lil one doing? How much did he weigh?

He's doing a lot better

He weighed 6lb 9oz and lost 9.9%, but is already back up to 6lb6oz as he's a greedy lil Monster!

He's been a bit sleepy his last couple of feeds and they keep talking about tube feeding him I feel like screaming at people to give him a chance. He's gettig the food, he has a really strong suck, it just takes him a little longer

Tapatalk madness!

Grrrrrrrowlll!!! They went on and on an on about tube feeding Ella! My OH and I fought and fought it! While you can - keep fighting!
There is a place for ng tubes for sure - but they are so obsessed with sorting an immediate problem, they don't care about long term problems!
We fought so much, that the day after Ella had her heart surgery, even though she had a tube there, she was still able to bottle feed! Everyone that feeds her said 'wow she's got an amazing suck go a little girl with DS!' - had I have given in and ng tube fed her before, they would have just carried on tube feeding her!
I am so happy that so far, we have avoided it! Keep telling them that You want to not tube feed!

You should keep going until you can't any more, and if you decide it's too much, stop and spend time on other things that help you bond. I've been trying to express / start breastfeeding my preemie for 3 weeks, and we gave up on Friday - it was my health problems causing the difficulties though, and it was taking me well over an hour to express 20 - 60ml (and he takes 50-60ml per feed every 3-4 hours), it sounds like you're doing well and there are no problems with your milk supply. Hopefully your little one will get the hang of breastfeeding, but if he doesn't and you don't feel you can carry on, it is your decision. I found there was a fine line between support and pressure with breastfeeding, so be honest with the people looking after you and carry on for as long as expressing still makes you feel good.

I don't know if it would make any difference to your little one latching on, but I was advised to express after we had tried feeding, so that my flow would be more and there would definately be a good supply while he was trying to feed. On the other hand, the later milk has more calories, so there are probably pros and cons to each order.

Good luck

Carrie

Thanks

I spoke to my auntie yesterday, she sai that I should only continue to try and breastfeed as long as I'm comfortable with it as I already have a lot
Of work to do expressing and bottle feeding.

My milk supply seems pretty good, getting between 80-100mls in 10 mins now and Aaron is only taking 50-70mls every 3 hours so getting a stock built up!

Decided not to express at 5am
This morning and feel better for it, might cut that one out and make up the time during the day going forward.

I've manage to get another set of funnels from the hospital too which means I wot have To go downstairs and clean them through the night for the next pumping session ... Which will make a massive difference.

Any remember if I've already said but I've also ordered a small fridge and a comfy chair for upstairs so that everything is easier as I plan on doing this for 6 months

Tapatalk madness!

A couple of tips to make life easier - you can put the parts of your pump in the fridge between use to save washing it every time and just sterilise once a day. Also tommy tippee have brought out soother wipes which you can also use to wipe the pump between uses.
I dropped a my night time pumping slot last night. I looked like Jordan this morning but felt better for the sleep!
Your doing amazing by the way x

My nipples are starting to hurt today and I'm pretty sure my boobs have gone up another size.

Doesn't help that I haven't managed to go bra shopping yet and they are all squished!

Tapatalk madness!

Putting the pump in the fridge is a genius idea!

Tapatalk madness!

Yep thats what I do too as sterilising in the middle of the night is awful when you have been up for 30 mins expressing!

I've now dropped the night time pumping so only pump 4-5 times a day now and still have to keep freezing milk as get so much. But my god this morning was horrendous! Milk leaked all over the bed and 17 oz!
How's the pumping going tweety? X

It's going well. Im up to 90-100mls :)

I was told tht one of your pumps nees to be done between 12-4am in order to keep supply up.

I've cut out the 5am express and the nurses are feeding him at this time which allows me to sleep from
2ish till 7ish ... Which is more sleep than i got when I was pregnant

Tapatalk madness!

You're doing so well! Took me weeks to get that much of a supply!
B is nearly 10 weeks now so my supply is established enough that I don't need to pump in the early hours and I've got loads of stock in the freezer!

There's something really satisfying about seeing your LO drink your milk isn't there! I was going to give up pumping at 6weeks but still going!

Xxx

I got over 100ml today and got a little bit giddy! Lol

Started trying Aaron on the boob again, when he's alert he goes to the boob each time, but still isn't latching on properly, just licking my nipples mostly :lol:, Hes a really sleeping baby though which can make it difficult, I'm going to try it with each feed (except 2am) for
Maybe another week to see if he improves

Tapatalk madness!

Wahoo love seeing those bottles fill up! Sounds like a good game plan! X

He's just had a really good go at breastfeeding. He's just not opening his mouth wide enough :wall2: we know he can open it wide enough and he has a really strong suck, so it's just a case of putting them both together at the right time.

I'm assured I'm doin everything right tht it's all up to aaron now. I just need to find the strength to preserve as it will benefit us both so much If he does it, and if he does I'm
Throwing a party!

Tapatalk madness!

Oohhhh a breastfeeding party!

I love how positive your posts are - Aaron is a lucky boy x

I'm expressing as Leo wouldn't latch at all, I'm getting around 1-2oz from each breast(with the medela symphony), I'm expressing 4 times a day and once through the night, so tiring but really worth it seein him guzzle my milk!

Last edited:
It does get easier monkey nut. To be honest my GP recommended ginger beer to help with supply but I hated the stuff so tried half an alcoholic beer each night and I think this has increased my supply as I've had nights where I didn't drink it and would get less milk! Could just be a coincidence though and im not encouraging everyone to get pissed! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back