Expressing!

aliciabubba

Reaction score
We are thinking about expressing milk in next couple iof weeks just so I can have a break and oh can feed too. Question us how much are you meant to have in the bottle? Is it 3 oz? I just dont want to over feed baby if you know what I mean..also can baby refuse breast after it's had a bottle? Any information you have would be great as I feel clueless!!!:wall2:

I haven't tried expressing yet as I was advised to get breast feeding established before you introduce a bottle so as not to cause confusion. I was recommended to wait til around 6 weeks and then slowly introduce a bottle, say every other day

However I know others may disagree and will say its fine to express earlier.

Xx

I was recommended 4weeks, but actually had to express first cos G wouldn't latch.

The mother 2 mother website has lots of great info.

In theory they can refuse breast, G has been on strike twice -each for about 24hours. But nipple confusion is rare.

The amount you put in each bottle is up to you, I guess kinda depends on why your expressing, I use EMB if I'm leaving her with someone else, first time I planned 3oz per feed, but she downed two in the one go!!

You can't really over feed a baby as they just sick up any excess!

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I would wait a little while before expressing to work on your lo's latch however I did express earlier as my breasts got engorged so you can always express and then freeze it for a later stage!! How much they need depends on the baby, my little man is a guzzler so he was taking about 100 ml at about 4 weeks (not sure what that is in ozs) I wud say although it is wastefull for a while if you arent going to be there to top up if necessary over estimate what you need, better to throw away milk other than have a crying baby!! Remember to express when you are giving baby a bottle so that your supply doesnt drop (plus then you have more milk to store!)
xxxx

I express so I can send LO to nanny's. I do about 5oz per feed.

You will need to express for the missed feed as well or your boobies will get full and leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back