Exclusively expressing

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
My wee man is unable to latch on just yet (not for lack of trying) and I've been exclusively expressing and bottle feedin every three hours.

Its exhausting (as babies are) but feels so worth it, as he's not doing so great, is in hospital and it about the only thing that makes me feel useful just now

I was just wondering if anyone else is or has done this and if they have any great words of wisdom for me?

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

Yeah and luckily she's my
Hubby's auntie :)

At the minute I'm double pumping for 10 mins every 3 hours around the clock. As Aaron is only little and this is what he would take from me.

That article says a minimum of 15 mins though? Will have to speak to the auntie about that

Tapatalk madness!

I guess if you have it the more time the better as it stimulates the flow. Didn't realise you'd had LO (I'm so terrible at checking birth announcements) have you written your birth story? How's it all going bar the feeding issues?

There's an announcement put in, we've been through a difficult time chick

Tapatalk madness!

has your milk come in yet? i found that at the start when it was the colostrum hand express into a syringe was best, the midwives can show you the best technique!

if your milk has come in the medela hospital double pump one was the best - sounds cheesy but really try and relax and give your lo a cuddle at the same time if that helps.

10 mins to me sounds a little on the shy side but at the same time there is no point building up a supply as your milk changes so much at the start!

take it easy, hope you all are well soon. xx

I've exclusively expressed for about 2 months - but breastfed until milk came in, for the first month.

I think any contact with your baby will help with your milk, he doesn't have to latch on, skin to skin will be good, and trying to latch on too :hug:

Hi Hun I exclusively express and yes it is hard word but so worth it. I'm using one of the medela double pumps and only pump for about 15 mins to get B his feed plus storage supplies but it's taken me a while to get to this stage.
If you have time pump for longer as you will stimulate your supply for more and you may get a second let down.
Make sure your relaxed with a drink and something to distract you - nothing worse than watching the tiny drips of milk dropping into the bottles willing more to come out!
The website Pinky recommends is brilliant and really encouraged me to keep going - especially when your pumping at 3am and LO is asleep!

Your doing fantastic to ensure your LO gets your milk and any milk is going to benefit him x

Bless you! I did that for ages too. My saving grace was having hired a hospital grade pump, having Ella with me while I pumped, making sure I'd eaten and drunk enough, resting as much as possible inbetween pumps n feeds (easier said than done!) and make sure you pump through the night!!! Good luck xxxxx

I have no personal expresance but a lady I used to work with Expressed for 12 months until she put LO onto cows milk so it can be done xx

I usually express before feeding Aaron and sit with him while I do, not been able to do that at hospital.

Did Ella ever latch on?, I'm ring encouraged to keep trying with Aaron but in the middle of the night when I har to express, feed him and change his nappy the last thing I want to do is spend 30 mins trying to force him onto my boob.

I'm aware that with DS babies can have trouble latching, just not sure how long I should continue to try?

Tapatalk madness!

Oh and yes my milk is in. I'm expressing about 70ml in 10 mins at the moment and Aaron is taking about 60ml per feed which is good for his weight I'm told

Tapatalk madness!

what pump do you use? Dont give up hun,my friend had a ds baby and he breast fed well,just keep doing what your doing and your get there in the end x

I have a really good electric pump on loan from the hospital.

I'm feeling ok about it at the minute, I'm just worried that there wil come a point where I find it too hard iykwim

I suppose I'll just keep plodding along as I am and hope for the best!

Tapatalk madness!

There were times when I found it too hard to keep expressing - I got mastitis and blocked ducts and cried my eyes out with the pain but it does get easier. Your doing your best and beyond x

From memory i think 70mls in 10 mins is pretty awesome, and 60mls per feed is really good, well done!!

Did Ella ever latch on?, I'm ring encouraged to keep trying with Aaron but in the middle of the night when I har to express, feed him and change his nappy the last thing I want to do is spend 30 mins trying to force him onto my boob.

I'm aware that with DS babies can have trouble latching, just not sure how long I should continue to try?

Ella did latch on. She loved breast feeding in the end - as did I. I am soooo happy I persisted for as long as I did! I was told before even having Ella to not try to bf "as babies with DS can rarely breastfeed!" This was straight from my health visitor! I was so bloody mad at her for saying it to me before even meeting my baby, that I was determined even more so to bf her! Ha... (slightly stubborn natured you could call me!!!)

At 3 months, and due to Ella having a huge hole in her heart which meant she was failing to thrive - I was advised to formula feed her on high calorie prescribed formula! I did so, reluctantly and sadly as feeding her had been such a lovely experience for me. But I did it knowing I was doing the very best for Ella!!! Also that I should have been proud that Ella had received 3 months of my breast milk! I was so pleased that I had stuck it out through those awful
Nights when I had to pump and feed.
I actually do still love feeding her now though... I find bottle feeing her can still be just as intimate and loving!!!

I really do hope it all goes smoothly for you! But remember that you need to do the best for both you and your gorgeous baby!!! PM me if you need anything! Xxxx

I am pumping and feeding LO as he had Tounge tie and struggled to latch- has your LO been checked fir TT? We are still persevering with BF and it is a battle and I feel the same as you I don't want a screaming match in the middle of the night.

Keep going hun it's really difficult but you will work through it xx

Yeah they checked him for tt ... Try think there might be a little but not enough to interfere with feeding, not enough to even snip.

I wanna get him home now so we can keep trying I have new faith that he might just do it, and save mummy 6 months of double the work :)

I had to ask the nurses to feed him at 2am as I was so tired I literally couldnt keep my eyes open, but when I got back to bed I felt so guilty I couldnt sleep :-(

Tapatalk madness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back