Toby Hunt Birth Story (and a few more pics!!)

Valley Girl

Reaction score
Well, for some reason I had a pre-labour atage of about three weeks! I had two sweeps and nothing happened. I went into hospital for induction on day 9 past EDD.

We arrived at hospital and they monitored me and did all the checks on the Saturday afternoon, 15th December. I had the pessary at about 3 o'clock and soon was having contractions, but they were bearable and about 5 minutes apart. We went for a walk around the hospital, had some dinner, and watched x factor! I was put on the monitor again when x factor started and was pretty much left there. My husband two hours later went to ask someone for some help as I really needed a wee! Someone came and took me off and said the midwife would come along shortly, then we didn't see anyone until 6am! I was contracting all bloody night every 5 minutes.

(We were bloody furious, but my husband wanteds to stay with me so we kept quiet, incase they sent him home for the night!)

I was monitired again at 6.30am and was offered the chance to have the gel, or for them to try to break my waters. Knowing that once your waters are gone you HAVE to be delivered within 36 hours I went for that option, knowing that if it didn't work I'd be offered the drip.

They broke my waters and I started pacing the corridors. I flooded them twice and gave up on corridors, and started pacing my room! Nothing happened. I was still 3 cm, which I had been right from the start.

Then I was offered the drip. YAY!! My husband and I were really excited that finally, we would be meeting our baby. I was concerned that nothing was making the baby come out, and I had real concerns as to whjy this was happening on a third pregnancy.

We went through to the labour ward at 2pm and the drip was put in. But NOTHING HAPPENED!!! We just couldn't believe it. Just the same contractions I was having already and nothing more. I have had the drip with my first baby, and knew that once the drip kicks in you know about. I was so confused and really down.

All this time, my arm where the drip was going in was getting bigger and bigger... really puffy and painful. I told the midwife I didn't think it was going in properly. She said I was tired and not to worry about it. She assured me it was working. More time went past, another hour, and I had asked two other midwives about the drip. They said it was fine. I convinced the main midwife to get a doctor to come and check, and she wasn't very happy about it but got the doctor. The doctor said it was fine, and definitely working.

By this time we were beside ourselves. Nothing would make my baby come and I was sure there was something really wrong. The entire load of sintocin was finished and the drip empty. The doctor came in and told me I would need an emergency cesarian.
I was mortified. She went on to tell me all the risks, how I was at high risk of heammorage because I had been contracting for so long. All the awful risks they have to tell you about and all the different ways in which you could peg it in theatre! My husband was totally gutted, trying to hold it together. I felt a total failure, and kept thinking about our two children at home, and all the what if's.

My husband went off to scrub up and get into hospital gear, and I prayed. I don't believe in God but I prayed and prayed!!

I got to theatre, shaking like a leaf, and the aneasthetist went to use the same stent to put my essential surgery drip in place. I asked her to check the drip as I was not happy with it. She flushed it through and said "No this isn't working, we'll use the other hand" I WAS FURIOUS!!!!!!

I explained, very calmly and nicely and asked mhy no one had listened to me all afternoon. Why I was sitting in theatre when I hadn't had any of the drip. Well, I could go on for hours telling you what happened in that theatre, and all the positive comments I got from the other staff, and the negative ones from my useless midwife! I refused to have my surgery! But the aneasthetist and theatre staff supported my decision, and told me I was making the right decision, and arranged it for me to go back to the labour ward and try again, with a new drip inserted by her. They were lovely to me and my husband, and obviously embarrassed.

Thank God for that aneasthetist. Without her I dread to think what could have happened.

When I got back to the labour ward the midwives on duty still claimed that the original drip had worked, and that I would end up going to theatre later that night.

They put the drip in at 10, my contractions started working at 10.30. I was fully dilated at 12.00am and at 12.03am Toby was born, weighing a whopping 9lb 6oz. His heart beat was dropping with each contraction at the end and he was born with the cord tightly round his neck and his hand under it! Poor little boy couldn't engage properly to make my contractions efficient enough to dilate my cervix bacause he was all caught up.

The community midwives have said I must write to the head of midwifery and complain about what happened. They were furious. I will do, when I have the time!

Toby is fantastic, and the children love him to bits. I am so so so glad he's here.

SNV30578.jpg

SNV30584.jpg

SNV30607.jpg

Gosh, you had a pretty hard time of it. :hug:

Toby is totally gorgeous and what lovely hair.

Hope you do get the time to complain, as you said these people really need to listen. I have passed the stage where I want to complain about the staff refusing to call my husband as at the end of the day he was there for the important bit.

Congratulations to all the family. :hug:

OMG he is just adorable!!

I cant believe the way you were treated- well done for standing your ground :hug:

He is beautiful, you must be so proud.

Make sure that you get your voice heard and you do complain, when i hear stories like this its gets me angry how the staff asways seem to think they are right, even though you were all along.

Oh you poor thing; what an awful time you had. I hope you are recovering well.

Toby is absolutely gorgeous and looks so knowing; he doesn't look like a newborn.

Congratulations :cheer:

:shock: What a terrible time you had.
Your little boy is so cute though.
Congratulations

i hate it when you get rubbish know it all midwives :shakehead: :x I had one when i was having Beth, but.....

Congrats!! he is georgeous!!! xxx :hug:

congrats hun he's georgous, sorry you had such a rough time of it, make sure you make the time to complain, it was awful to hear the way you were treated.

I got the same "we'll use the other hand" comment.... it's so annoying! well done, he is gorg!!!

wow, what a hard tme you had. Toby is gorgeous though and he's here congratulations

He is beautiful - well done :cheer: look at that hair - he is adorable

But OMG I am so raging for you - If a drip is inserted and your arm swells and you have no effect from the medication the infusion is obviously not working and is obviously pumping into your soft tissue - this scares the life out of me I am a nurse so that standard of care really upsets me and my sister is an anaesthatist and I just know she would agree with me - how could they be so ignorant and stupid - and even if they werent sure why did they not resite it just to be on the safe side and see what happened - all midwives are qualified to flush lines to check they are working - make sure you do complain :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Main thing though you and baby are fine :hug:

sounds like a nightmare :hug:

your little man is gorgeous :)

waw! what a story! congrats hun.. and well done for not just going along with things!

Congrats! Sorry to hear you got such useless midwives, and a doctor too! :shakehead:

When I had James I found the midwives in hospital to be useless, seriously thinking of hiding at home this time where they can't get me! :lol:

Your little boy is lovely, you must be so proud! :cheer:

sounds like you've had a time of it.

Congratulations on you lovely little boy.

Good for you for sticking to your guns, and I hope you get the chance to complain! Congratulations on such a gorgeous little boy

Thank you everyone.

I must confess I am utterly in love with him, although when he's waking every hour in the early hours our relationship is slightly strained!! Bless him.

I will write and complain, not to make a fuss, but I really feel strongly that they should learn to listen more. I was so polite and such a 'good patient', what ever they told me to do I did it with minium fuss, and it shouldn't be that just because you don't shout and stamp your feet you get patted on the head and treated as if you are stupid.

I just think if it happened to someone who was having their first baby, and didn't know what the drip felt like when it works, it could have been a really bad situation, for no reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back