Electric and Gas keys / cards

mum2A&L

Reaction score
just being a bit nosey -

We have always had a gas card, and we have just had a electric key meter thingy put in.

Was just wondering how much people spend on gas and electric cards.

we put gas on as we need it. We have spent a small fortune this winter, but that is becuase upstairs is empty so we are heating that as well.

Im trying to work out how much to budget for electric. how much does everyone else spend?

I'd be interested in this too as I dont have a card system, we only have electric in the apartment and we are £123 a month on a direct debit :shock:

We have both gas and leccy cards. Put on about £10 a week gas in the winter as the gas is only for the central heating. In the summer none at all, just a bit to keep the thing ticking over.
Electricity we put on about £15 quid a week which covers immersion heater and electrical appliances. Although we are getting the leccy meter removed tomorrow and moving to direct debit as what we are paying is silly money for a two bedroom flat.

Sarah i cant believe how much you are paying in leccy :shock:
Have you tried reducing your usage. When we realised what we were forking out we started to be a little more careful such as making sure nothing was left on standby and turning off all our appliances by the plug when not in use. We found that made a difference.

"ive put £15 on in the flat and it's lasted two week" from a mate :D (leccy)

i used to put 10-15 in my electric meter a week when it was tokens and every 3 months i used to get about 30-40 pound back rebate
then 2 years ago they changed me to a key meter and since then i put in 20 a week and have not had a penny back its costing me a fortune im considering going back to a normal meter :(
just got a normal meter for my gas so cant comment on that but it works out over the year that i pay 10 a week in winter and 5 a week in summer thats for 9 radiators hot water on constant and i cook gas :D xxx

We have pre-payment meters in for gas and electric and at the minute it's through Scottish Power (that's who was supplying it when we moved in).

It's taking the piss a bit at the minute, we're putting about £20 on the gas a week and £10 electric. It doesn't last 2 minutes and seems bloody expensive to me.

We've just switched to British Gas so I'm hoping that'll be a bit cheaper :?

charlie84 said:
Have you tried reducing your usage. When we realised what we were forking out we started to be a little more careful such as making sure nothing was left on standby and turning off all our appliances by the plug when not in use. We found that made a difference.

We do all that!! I am actually arguing with them just now over the cost!
They keep saying it's down to the storage heaters, but my brother has them in his 4bed house and is half the price we are

SarahH said:
charlie84 said:

We do all that!! I am actually arguing with them just now over the cost!
They keep saying it's down to the storage heaters, but my brother has them in his 4bed house and is half the price we are

Bloody hell :shock: I dont blame you for arguing with them. In my old flat i had storage heaters and the whole place ran on leccy, it only cost us £41 a month there.
Have a shop around see if you can do cheaper. Who are you with?
Theres me going on about mine being expensive i am truly shocked at your bill

We are with Hydro Electric.... am away to see if I can find a comparison site to get cheaper!

SarahH said:
We are with Hydro Electric.... am away to see if I can find a comparison site to get cheaper!

Yeah defo see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.
Me and OH decided to get tough with all our outgoings and were shocked at what we were spending on leccy/gas/mobiles etc.
We are in the process of going through them all and finding cheaper deals for everything. I think we had got to a point of not noticing how much was being spent on things especially when they were direct debits.
Gotta save as much money now little one is due.

FFS Sarah! I'm with Hydro electric as well. We have storage heaters too, and for a 2 bed up & down house we were £148 for 3 months! I was shitting myself to be honest about the bill coming in as everything is on constantly, but all it was was £148 as i said!

just been speaking to my mate on MSN and she has a 2 bed house, prob floor size the same as our appartment and she changed from Hydro as was £110 a month to npower and their first bill came in at £173 so is now moving back to Hydro...

I am soooooo confussed!!

No wonder! It's madness how it can vary so much!

We just got our electric metre changed from a token card to a normal one last week and the difference is quite big.
We were between £50-£60 a month in tokens but they've worked out that it will now only be £20 per month!

the reason we had a meter card thingy put in was becuase adams wages dependent on other people paying his business, this way we put it on when any money comes through. I need to wrok out how much i recon we will need to put on a month so i know if we can put it on in drips and draps, or if it is best for me to put it on in one go on my payday.

at the min £10 on gas is lasting us just over a week. two, if i don't turn the heating on much.

it looks like we are heading towards £10 of electric lasting us a week. :think: seem about right to people?

Yeah, I would say about a tenner, maybe £15 will do you. Theres always the emergency, we had to use it a few times before payday!

we have a 1 bedroom flat which is all electric, we used to have an npower card which we were putting between £100-110 on per month :shock: it really was ridiculous!!

we have just switched to an e-on card which is much better *touch wood* we are using about £15-20 per wk which is a massive saving

We put on £12 a week in gas and about £8 a week in electric on a good week in the summer we dont reallyput to much gas on as we olny need it for the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back