Gas and Electric help

hopefulmummy

Reaction score
I'm so confused! I have no idea how I can figure out if I'd be better off switching my gas and electric. we are currently with npower and spend about £80 a month for both. how do I figure out if there is a cheaper suppler out there?? we live in a 3 bed victorian terrace, if that helps. THANKS! xx

if you go to Google you should be able to get some online comparison's.

However be warned.

You need to look at your consumption (energy used and what you are charged per kwH) as opposed to the monthly payments you make.

Every energy company will offer you a "better" deal BUT if their charges are higher per unit then after a year you could end up with a massive hike in your bills.

Also you can move every 12 months to keep the costs down but you will always have to pay the difference?

So for example if you pay £60 a month for 12 months but have actually been using £75 a month worth of energy then you will have to pay the £180 difference in order to be allowed to move to a new energy company. The energy companies purposefully offer you cheap deals for 12 months knowing that 1) your bills will go up after a year or b) you will have to pay them a huge whack if you want to move!

What I suggest is that you keep an eye on your meters - take readings every week for a few months and submit them online if you can.

Better still - If you have readings from today and a year ago ring your energy company with these and they will see if you are being charged correctly. I got my gas down from £70 to £35 a month :shock: (my lekky did go up though!)

Thanks very much Carnat, that was really helpful.

When your gas reduced from £70 to £35 - if you hadn't managed to get the monthly payments down, if you tried to leave, would the gas company have given you the money back that you overpaid?

xx

Thanks very much Carnat, that was really helpful.

When your gas reduced from £70 to £35 - if you hadn't managed to get the monthly payments down, if you tried to leave, would the gas company have given you the money back that you overpaid?

xx

It was my fault as I'd given an incorrect reading to begin with which is why they set the DD so high.

I will be able to apply for a rebate in the NY but I believe if I moved co's I still would have got the money back as they had grossly overcharged me...

I need someone from the actual co. to do a meter reading before I can get the rebate though so not sure how it would have worked if I had changed suppliers? :shock: Maybe they would have still sent out an engineer to read the meter before they would grant me any type of rebate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back