Some advice for you on gas and electric

We switched last night from Southern Electric to E.On during a shopping trip to Tesco. :? :? :?

nori said:
andreaaa said:
nori said:
Just a quick question.. do you think it would cost more to use the gas central heating to heat up the bedroom or plug in one of those oil filled radiators? Im thinking of nightime for the baby.

Claire x

Hi Claire, do you know the wattage rating of the oil rad? i.e 1000 watts or 1500 watts?

Just to give you an example, if the oil rad is 1000 watts that is 1kw. If your electricity unit rate is say 12p per kwh that would mean it costs 12p per hour to use. (this example is based on the radiator being on full power).

If you use gas central heating, were you planning on only having the gas radiator on in the bedroom and turning the others off? Or heating the whole house?

Even though the gas prices have gone up more than the electricity prices, gas is still cheaper than electric (average gas kwh is 4p and average electric kwh is 12p)

Yeah i was going to turn off the rest at night and keep just the bedroom oil rad on (havent actually bought one so cant give you the wattage) I was always told those hot air blowers were expensive to run so assumed the oil rads would be the same.

Oh and another question, both me and my OH have a bath or shower in the morning and occasionally a shower at night (if we are going out) how long should i have the hot water on to heat it up. At the moment i put it on for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night. Is that too much?

Claire x

That sounds about right chick although you could try having it on for 2hrs a.m and just 1hr p.m and see if that gives you enough at night. Trial and error really although don't try it on a night when you're going out just in case there isn't enough :lol: x

DebbieM said:
We switched last night from Southern Electric to E.On during a shopping trip to Tesco. :? :? :?

Hey Debbie :wave:

If you reply with your region i'll let you know if it works out cheaper with Eon, if not you have a 7 day cooling off period with your new supplier so there is time to change your mind if it's going to cost more.

You can find out your region by looking on your Electricity bill. There will be a smallish rectangular box with 2 rows of numbers and it starts with the letter S... Just let me know the first 2 numbers on the bottom row and your postcode and i'll check for you (you can pm me with it if you prefer) :hug: x

andrea.. i can't find the answer to this anywhere, everyone says different things..

you know theres a different rate for day and night? what time does 'night' begin? scottish power told me 'around 10 or 11pm, but we're not sure :wall: '

sarafet said:
andrea.. i can't find the answer to this anywhere, everyone says different things..

you know theres a different rate for day and night? what time does 'night' begin? scottish power told me 'around 10 or 11pm, but we're not sure :wall: '

you mean as in on economy 7?
I thought it started either midnight or 1am and then was for 7 hours (hence the economy 7) but i could be totally wrong!

sarafet said:

Sweetie i'm not sure off the top of my head but will check for you when i'm home tomorrow or Monday :hug:

andreaaa said:
sarafet said:

Sweetie i'm not sure off the top of my head but will check for you when i'm home tomorrow or Monday :hug:

thankyou lovely :hug: just so i could start putting the washing machine on over night :) xx

heya i have prepay gas and electric meters but when we rang everyone when we moved in 3 months ago they told us it wasnt any more expensive is this true ? Were with british gas for leccy n eon for gas, any recommedations ?? :hug: :hug:

Hi again! I thought id lost this post then!

I have today received my gas and electric statement of account. I still think im paying too much for a 1 bed house where i have only just started using the heating (gas central heating).

Im currently with southern electric for both and on the General Domestic NSC and pay by direct debit. I am paying £40 per month for electricity and im £82.48 in credit. Im also paying £17 a month for gas and am £40.51 in debit which is concerning me as thats before ive even used the heating!

So £57 a month for both.. does that not seem alot for a 1 bed house? Should i look at changing suppliers?

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back