Elective C-section mums and breastfeeding

Juzza

Reaction score
Hiya - i had an awful first birth with 3rd degree tear which reopened 5 days post-delivery and decided to stop breastfeeding after a week or so because i couldn't cope with the pain of sitting or even lying and was pretty much emotionally incapable aswell.

Opting for a c-section this time and just wanted to see how many of you managed feeding or what your plans are if you're having a c-section - i'm in two minds whether to attempt it and see how it goes or whether to just be selfish and safe my self the disappointment by bottlefeeding immediately.

Any responses appreciated thanks
Juz xxx

Hi I had an elective c section last Thursday which has made breast feeding a lot harder as my milk has only really started to come in a week later.

However, it's taking a lot of patience and I've had to use formula to top him up but we're slowly but surely getting there. We're still not 100% but we'll get there. Just a case of patience and perseverance but good luck to you whichever you decide on :)

Really appreciate your reply - hope it gets easier for you both :D

i say unless ur completely against it, just try it with an open mind and if u cant do it or whatever, switch to bottle and then u kno at least u tried.
i havent voted coz i'm not planning a section

I had an emergancy c-section with Grace and it never crossed my mind that I wouldn't be able to breast feed. The nurses put Grace to my breast when we were in the recovery room and she has breast fed ever since - it has not been easy, I have had really painful nipples - but the troubles I have had I would have had even if I had given birth vaginally.

I absolutely love breast feeding, it has been worth the trails and tribulations that I have had on route - it definately gets easier as time goes on .........

even though my c-section was an emergancy I have had no problems at all and have not been in any pain - fingers crossed that you have an easy time of it......

definately give breast feeding a go - well worth the effort

i had a emergency section and my little one was in intensive care, so i dont have the feeling you girls have, i did express though and when he was 3 weeks old, i was able to breast feed him properly...

I hope to be able to feed the LO this time around. I had an elective CS last time and although I had plenty of milk my son couldn't suckle or latch on properly. I was quite disappointed.

This time around I'm going to go with the flow. I'll try and if it happens - great. If not - never mind. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

And thanks Sabrina that's how i feel this time - last time i was in so much pain with feeding and my tear that one had to take priority over the other and we decided to stop breastfeeding.

I felt so guilty and i'm afraid to say that alot of people made me feel guilty - i know that breast is best - but if it doesn't work for you and you're not happy surely thats no good to the baby. It's been a year and i still feel crap about it but that's my issue i can't blame anyone for it.

I think maybe i'll try and see what happens - one things for sure i'm not taking any s**t from my mw's for 'artificially' feeding. I wonder if there's anyway of encouraging you milk supply to come in early without stimulating labour!

Juz x

Juzza said:
I felt so guilty and i'm afraid to say that alot of people made me feel guilty - i know that breast is best - but if it doesn't work for you and you're not happy surely thats no good to the baby. It's been a year and i still feel crap about it but that's my issue i can't blame anyone for it.

I think maybe i'll try and see what happens - one things for sure i'm not taking any s**t from my mw's for 'artificially' feeding. I wonder if there's anyway of encouraging you milk supply to come in early without stimulating labour!

Juz x

That's quite an interesting thought Juz. I might ask the MW (if I remember) to find out.

I also had comments from people which I think were geared to make me feel "bad". I even had a few friends saying what a shame it was I couldn't give birth "naturally". :talkhand: When you are ill and given no choice but to have a CS or your baby could die - believe me that's the "natural" choice.

:hug: Good luck with your BF. If it doesn't work out for one way or another then don't feel guilty or bad. Your LO will still have the best start by having a caring mum looking after him/her. :clap:

Thanks hun - i totally agree. I hate the undercurrent of competition which exists - after i'd had Jacob by forceps a few people dared to say that that wasn't natural. Giving birth is giving birth and the safest option is surely the best which is why i'll be giving birth by c-section this time!

Good luck with your pregnancy x

Hi

I had a s-section with Kiara as i oculdnt dialate the last half cm and a bunch of other reasons! I will hopefully know in a few weeks when i finally get to see my delivery doc if i have to have another scetion or if i am able ot deliver natural.
I never even thought that having an elective section would effect my milk supply makes me nervous as i wantto BF a year as i did with Kiara I :pray: it all goes well.
Good luck to you all that will be having one
Katrina

Just wanted to say very best wishes with whatever you decide Juzza, I do hope you give breastfeeding a try, and that you are happy with whatever that results in, that's what matters :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back