Eeeek! BLW too soon?

keli

Reaction score
So i've just given Cooper some banana!! He put it in his mouth looked at my as in ' whats this ' chopped a chunk off :shock: then winced like you do when you eat something sour, then spat a big chunk out :shock: i nearly died! lol. So i took it all off him!..nicely not in a rushed way or anything. I'm thinking he's not ready as he pushed it out with his tongue so that reflex has not gone yet.. or if i let him carry on would he have started chewing? How did your LO's react to the first bite of food?? I'm def waiting till 6mths now :shakehead:

The tongue reflex still there shows he's not quite ready yet but will be soon.

This was what Cally was like with her first taste - while she gagged slightly there was no tongue reflex

Its the point of BLW really that your LO will know when he is ready. I don't think there is any harm in trying them with food before 6 months, because as you have found, they won't be able to chew and swallow until they are developmentally ready for food. charlotte was just under 6 months but she chewed and swallowed fine.

Galen was about a week older and while he took to BLW the first week or so it was much more sucking the veggie sticks and fruit than chewing. He defo didn't push food back out with his tongue though. And his bgag reflex kicked in once or twice early on. The chewing really kicked in about 10 days ago. Maybe a bit longer. Since it has there is no stopping him and his chews so well. We arereally impressed with how he manages his finger foods.

I"d wait a few more weeks as it sounds like he isn't quite there yet. Don't forget he is not lacking anything nutrient wise and milk is plenty enough for him for the next few weeks. I'd not do BLW so early just to make sure the chewing ability is there. It will appear around 6 months and will make for a very different experience.

beanie said:
The tongue reflex still there shows he's not quite ready yet but will be soon.

This was what Cally was like with her first taste - while she gagged slightly there was no tongue reflex

Have looked at this vid but thanks for posting for me.. she's like a little pro on her first try :D Cooper was nothing like this! lol.

Sherlock said:
I"d wait a few more weeks as it sounds like he isn't quite there yet. Don't forget he is not lacking anything nutrient wise and milk is plenty enough for him for the next few weeks. I'd not do BLW so early just to make sure the chewing ability is there. It will appear around 6 months and will make for a very different experience.

It was me, i know he's fine on my milk but i was just excited to see what he'd do :oops: lol. Will wait now till he's 6 mths :) I've got it wrong from the beginning it's supposed to be Baby led weaning.. not mummy can't wait weaning!

Thanks for your replies ladies :hug:

I was, still am, hoping to wait until she reaches at least 5 months but she's trying to put my food in her mouth atm and she had some rusk today and a few days ago, i have to hold it for her but she pulls my hand up to her mouth and pushes it away, i thought she might not take the food properly but she sucked and chewed the rusk and even when quite big bits fell off in her mouth she just munched on it and swollowed it all.

I do wanna wait but i'm begining to feel she might be ready.

If he spat it out it may have been the shock of a new taste, if you're both happy to wait then do so, i'm not going to start weaning her properly as i still love our mummy buba milky cuddles too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back