EBF and not using any protection

Colourmeblue

Reaction score
So me and OH first dtd about 3 weeks post partum. We are being careless, but doctor told me not to worry that i dont need contraception as im exclusively breast feeding. Im not silly and know that its still possible to get pregnant (even though that chance is prob slim), but the thing is i really am not ready to go on contraception, i wanna give my body a break, after the nine months of pregnancy and then the post baby hormones, iv really had enough of hormones for a while! i just want to be 'me' for a while before i go back on contraception. And condoms we both hate. Am i being really silly and big time risking another pregnancy, or is it really rare to ovulate so soon after baby while still breast feeding? p.s. lo is 8 weeks old now. xx

Read about LAM. For BFing to be an effective contraception you have to 1) not be supplimenting, 2)not be going more than 6hrs between feeds at night and 4hrs in the day (skipping even one feed ups the cance of ovulating). And 3) not have your period back. Then it is as effective as some forms of contraception until LO is 6 months.. I think it's supposed to be 98% effective and higher in the first 3 months. Of course it depends how seriouse you are about not getting pregnant there is still a 2% chance so double up with contraception if thats not acceptable for you.

I am using LAM atm. With my first child my period didnt come back until he was 9,5 months old. But my friend got hers back after 4 months so there is a chance

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

If you don't want to get pregnant then don't risk it. When I was breastfeeding I spent a lot of time on the baby and bump breastfeeding forum and the number of gutted posts from ladies that their periods had returned much sooner than expected was enough for me to use protection.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

As bunnyM said, ebf can be as effective as the pill (98%) but you need to follow the rules.

Many people get caught out when LOs start sleeping longer at night, not realising that you have to feed at specific times.

Research natural family planning and then decide if it will work for you.

Most women who get their period back within 6 months when EBFing do not ovulate first so the first period acts as a warning and it is unlikely that you would get pregnant before then.

Your brave! I'm ebf & on the mini pill & still terrified of getting pregnant again!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I thought you do ovulate for your first period (isnt that what a period is?) and so could get pregnant then? Also what would worry me is everyone used to breast feed in my grandmas generation because it was cheaper and they ended up with 9 kids all so close together. then again maybe they didn't follow the rules?

I got the copper coil (no hormones). But then haven't dtd yet. Definitely didn't want to take any chances!

I thought you do ovulate for your first period (isnt that what a period is?) and so could get pregnant then? Also what would worry me is everyone used to breast feed in my grandmas generation because it was cheaper and they ended up with 9 kids all so close together. then again maybe they didn't follow the rules?

Periods are triggered by hormones. Usually you ovulate as part of the hormone cycle but some women have regular periods and never ovulate. It is also likely that you won't ovulate before your first period when your period comes back before 6 months when EBF. If your period comes back later it gets more likely you will ovulate first.

Mayb the coil rather than no contraceptions could b used? Also iv never tried it but what about using spermicide as well as bf as a contraception x

Hnmmm...well im not doing it well for it to be effective then. Lo has been going longer than 6 hours at night for about 3/4 weeks now. Scary. Ok will do a hpt and then go on the mini pill. Thanks ladies xx

Even going more than 6 hrs it gives quite a lot of protection but you cant count on it being 98% safe.

I was on the mini pill while breastfeeding but came off it as soon as I stopped as I really didn't get on with it. Back on Microgynon now and all good. My mum is testament to the fact ebf is not 100% effective as she feel pregnant with my brother 5 months after having me and I was ebf. Also I was a nightmare baby that didn't sleep so it was because I was going longer at night :) xxx

I also know several people who got pregnant on the pill so I guess if you want 100% you have to stop having sex lol!

Last edited:
Abstinence is the only 99.99% effective method (leaving 0.01% to miracle conception)
I know for sure i didnt ovulate before first period btw

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Periods are triggered by hormones. Usually you ovulate as part of the hormone cycle but some women have regular periods and never ovulate. It is also likely that you won't ovulate before your first period when your period comes back before 6 months when EBF. If your period comes back later it gets more likely you will ovulate first.

well you learn something new every day I didn't know this! x

I also know several people who got pregnant on the pill so I guess if you want 100% you have to stop having sex lol!

Lol...well we are kind of doing this at the moment! lol. No really, I got a little worried after everyones replies so i have started on the minipill today! Not happy about it, but we are not ready for another baby so soon. Want lo to have time by herself for a little while. xx

I was exclusively breastfeeding and fell pregnant before I had a period by the time lo was 4 months. She never went more than 3-4 hrs between feeds. Xxx

I recommend the copper coil, when I'm ready for contraception that will be my choice x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back