contraceptive diaphragm

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these before? Are they easy to use?

I need to start thinking about what I'm gonna do contraception wise. Im exlusively breastfeeding at the moment which is apparantly 98% effective as contraception while babys feeding regularly, but as there's no guarantees about how long before fertility will return I need something else as backup.

I really want to avoid hormone based contraception as I had thr mirena coil for 3 and a half years and totally lost my sex drive, I also have 5 stone to lose so dont want to risk putting on any more weight!! Not keen on hormones whilst breastfeeding either.

Ive thought about a copper coil but not keen on the idea of heavy painful periods, and OH refuses to wear a condom :x , so it appears to be either a diaphragm or impose a sex ban on OH (I have my rampant rabbit to keep me company :lol: )

Anyone used a diaphragm or got any ideas? :)

Sorry Ive never used one, I always think they are gonna slip out of place or something! We use condoms now which Im not happy about but like you I dont want to put hormones in my body because of the sex drive thing.

I have suggested we just have loads of kids but OH doesnt like that idea lol

Sorry dont know what to suggest.
I ended up choosing the implant for my contraception. Have been warned about the increased appetite that can come with it so just gotta be careful what i eat.

A friend of mine used the cap for a while and got on with it quite well. Learning how to use it is another thing altogether. It is rubber like and circular and you have to lubricate it and squeeze it in the middle in order to insert it. What's more, when she went to have it fitted she had to show the nurse that she could fit it herself and ended up firing it across the cubicle! :rotfl:

I don't think it's the most reliable form of contraception but it's a barrier method that doesn't involve stopping what you're doing to put a condom on. I think you can put it in a while in advance so at least things can be a little spontaneous (as if having sex with kids around could ever be spontaneous - I find myself having to plan at least a week in advance!).

I know what you're saying about hormones - I feel the same. I had the Mirena for years and although I didn't have periods it took me a good 9 months to get my periods back again so I don't want that to happen again. That and the fact that I found it quite uncomfortable having it put in and taken out.

Rampant Rabbit sounds like a good idea btw but a bit dull for conversation afterwards I find :rotfl:

I used it and as you can see from my ticker it didn't go well!! :rotfl:
I had problems with anything hormone based giving me pregnancy symptoms so came off the pill, tried the coil that evacuated itself and OH hates condoms too so we felt diaphragm was worth a try.
Having it fitted is embarrasing they are not very popular so usually where ever your having it fitted will need notice to order them in (you can get them in chemists apparently but you need to know your size first which can only be done at doctors or family planning clinics) you have the fitting then have to practise with it for 1-2 weeks before going back to show you can fit it properly and only then are you allowed to use it as contraception!
I found it a bit of a pain for spontanious sex as isnt as quick and easy to put in as putting on a condom, you can put it in advance which is easier but you have to leave it in for 6-10 hours after sex for it to work properly and aren't ment to leave it in over a certain number of hours so that can make it all abit of a pain. I was told by alot of professionals it wasnt recommended for a woman my age (23 at time) and more for women in their 40's with lower fertility or women inbetween children who wouldn't be too bothered if they got pregnant again. We knew the risks were higher and decided to take them was using it about 3 months before I fell pregnant, not going to be using one again! :rotfl:

I got measured for one of these and my cervix was too small to have one :rotfl: not too small to push out an 8lb 9oz baby though :rotfl:

Penstraze said:
I used it and as you can see from my ticker it didn't go well!! :rotfl:
I had problems with anything hormone based giving me pregnancy symptoms so came off the pill, tried the coil that evacuated itself and OH hates condoms too so we felt diaphragm was worth a try.
Having it fitted is embarrasing they are not very popular so usually where ever your having it fitted will need notice to order them in (you can get them in chemists apparently but you need to know your size first which can only be done at doctors or family planning clinics) you have the fitting then have to practise with it for 1-2 weeks before going back to show you can fit it properly and only then are you allowed to use it as contraception!
I found it a bit of a pain for spontanious sex as isnt as quick and easy to put in as putting on a condom, you can put it in advance which is easier but you have to leave it in for 6-10 hours after sex for it to work properly and aren't ment to leave it in over a certain number of hours so that can make it all abit of a pain. I was told by alot of professionals it wasnt recommended for a woman my age (23 at time) and more for women in their 40's with lower fertility or women inbetween children who wouldn't be too bothered if they got pregnant again. We knew the risks were higher and decided to take them was using it about 3 months before I fell pregnant, not going to be using one again! :rotfl:

it probably wouldn't be suitable for me then as my OH would go ballstic if I got pregnant to the point where he'd want me to have an abortion :( .
I'm really annoyed with him at the moment, he's adement he doesn't want any more kids but refuses to use condoms. I think its so selfish that its always down to me to take precautions :x I dont think he's gonna be getting any anway! :lol:

Sounds alot like my DH at the time he's only contribution was that he would have the snip (bearing in mind I was 23 and him 27 with no children at the time) he was adament he didn't want children but was the same about condoms when I did get pregnant he wasn't happy at first and would have liked me to have an abortion but he did come around. Men they're a nightmare arn't they, its about time they brought out the male pill!

I am quite concerned what we will do once I have baby am hoping it will kind of be a reset for my dodgy hormones and I can have implant or go on pill otherwise will have to give copper coil a go but am also not into the idea of heavy periods from it!

if the male pill came out we couldnt trust them to take it

my OH has suggested that I be sterilised, yet refuses to have the snip himself!! selfish male chauvenistic git :x

I would just stick to my rabbit and tell him if he isn't responsible enough to use contraception hes not responsible enough to have sex and to let me know when he was!! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back