Dunno quite what to do - should I stop ttc? Smear nxt year ?

u can have a smear and even a colposcopy if u have abnormal cells and are both perfectly safe in pregnancy. im due back in may after abnormal cells found and i can still ttc now and have my smear in may

When I asked my Doc for a smear he said i wouldn't be given one until i was 25, but thats 4 years away and i've already been sexually active for 3 years, i'm abit worried now with hearing about Jade, do you think if i ring up and ask for one they have to give me one?

KittyMom, if you are under 25 you should not worry even if you are sexually active but if you want to put your mind at ease you could always speak to your GP, they will certainly advise you. This is what the NHS website says:

Why are women under 25 and women over 65 not invited?
Cervical cancer is rare in women under 20. Teenagers' bodies, particularly the cervix, are still developing, which means young women may get an abnormal result when there is nothing wrong. This could lead to unnecessary treatment so screening young women might do more harm than good.

Under the age of 25 years, invasive cancer is extremely rare, but changes in the cervix are common. Although lesions treated in very young women may prevent cancers from developing many years later, the evidence1 suggests that screening could start at age 25. Lesions that are destined to progress will still be screen-detectable and those that would regress will no longer be a source of anxiety. Younger women will not have to undergo unnecessary investigations and treatments.

Any woman under 25 who is concerned about her risk of developing cervical cancer or her sexual health generally, should contact her GP or Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinic

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back