Double HELP :(

NH031015

Reaction score
Morning Ladies,

Im now 5 weeks pregnant and not due my first appointment with a midwife until im 9 weeks!

In 2 weeks time (ill be nearly 8 by this point!) i have an event day with work which includes a free bar with table service!!

I am usually a big drinker so this is going to prove to be a HUGE problem for me to hide the fact im not drinking and to include when the waiter comes to order drinks and im asking for an orange juice people will find out!!

Any advice!!??

Also i went to see my GP this week and im having terrible cramps but no bleeding. I was told it could just be normal cramping at the start as its like bad period pain or it could be miscarriage but its too early to tell! has anyone else had the same??

im beside myself with worry!!! :(

Thanks!!

Is this your first baby? If so, there's going to be a whole load of stretching and moving around in your tummy! Pains are very normal to a degree but any blood and you should get it checked out right away.. Try not to worry though, imagine all the work your body is doing :)

Haha, the all too common drinking dilemma! Either order the drinks and subtly not drink them, or pretend you are ill (which you may well be by 8 weeks!) A woman will ALWAYS get the pregnancy jibes when she orders an orange juice, you'll just have to laugh it off and change the subject! Good luck xx

Could you have a word with the waiter or bar staff on the quiet... like say you'll ask for a vodka & lemonade/coke or vodka & orange or G&T etc but you really just want the lemonade/coke/orange juice/tonic water, no alcohol ;)

Last edited:
Can't you just say you are designated driver? Xx

Hi All,

Its a large event with work so i dont think designated driver would work as everyone drinks on this day and nobody but pregnant wives has ever drove!

I think having a quiet word with the waiter is a great idea!!! Im totally going to try that!!! :)

And with regards to the pains thank you that makes me feel alot better! this is my first baby so heres hoping thats what it is!

Thanks for your help!! :)

You could say your on antibiotics xxx
This is what I did at works Christmas party when I was pregnant with my first (said I had tonsillitis which was believable as I used to get it all the time), worked fine and nobody suspected a thing :)

Antibiotics is a good one!

This is my first pregnancy too and I thought my pains were not not normal it felt like I was due a period ......a really bad one, all the time. I'm still getting cramps now, though I think this is now due to wind at the minute!

Good luck!

I've not had a drop since I found out nearly 2 weeks ago. HOWEVER that being said I have a big wedding in two weeks time, and am also worried - we don't want our friends group to find out just yet (just incase obvs) but I know they are savvy to the old "antibiotics" line, one of our group is currently pregnant herself.
The wedding, reception and hotel is all in one place so I can't even fake being the designated driver.
I am wondering if a small glass of wine would be okay, at the table when eating, and then remainder of evening (when I go to bar for myself) get lemonades/fruit juice etc. I'm assuming one glass of white wine won't mean too much harm to bambino!??

Last edited:
I've not had a drop since I found out nearly 2 weeks ago. HOWEVER that being said I have a big wedding in two weeks time, and am also worried - we don't want our friends group to find out just yet (just incase obvs) but I know they are savvy to the old "antibiotics" line, one of our group is currently pregnant herself.
The wedding, reception and hotel is all in one place so I can't even fake being the designated driver.
I am wondering if a small glass of wine would be okay, at the table when eating, and then remainder of evening (when I go to bar for myself) get lemonades/fruit juice etc. I'm assuming one glass of white wine won't mean too much harm to bambino!??

That's funny!! In at a wedding in two weeks too, same circumstances and same as you, our friends won't take 'antibiotics ' as an answer!!! We are staying over night too so can't even use the driving thing! I haven't had a drop since the day we found out and don't plan too - even the champagne toast is a no no for me xxx

I wouldn't be able to personally Dixie but I know many a woman who has had the odd glass throughout their pregnancy and I certainly wouldn't judge! I am sure no harm would come of it but I would just never forgive myself... xx

Yeah, I know *sticks chin out petulantly* I couldn't cope either if I lost it... oh well I will just have to wing it, and think of some excuse!

First of all, I just want to state that I DO NOT advocate drinking in pregnancy. However, it's worth noting that in many countries, the recommendation is to drink LESS not stop entirely. Even the NHS says that small amounts might not be harmful, but the recommendation is to avoid it entirely as no one knows where the limit is.
So if you find yourself in a situation where you really can't wriggle out of it, pick something fairly low alcohol, if it's in the summer maybe you can mix the wine with soda? And then try to nurse the same glass all evening. Get up to refill it and only add soda. If there's a bar, order a cocktail and ask them discreetly to make it virgin. Make a big show on drinking every other water and to stay hydrated when drinking, especially if it's warm.
I don't drink at all either, but I have no issues with having a sip of my boyfriend's drink just for the taste or something. Because it's such a minuscule amount.
Important thing is that everyone decides for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I was at a wedding on Saturday. I had a glass of sparkling wine for the toasts so as to not look strange but stuck to soft drinks after that. Nobody even noticed xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back