Don't buy 2nd hand breast pumps....Please Read

moomoo192

Reaction score
I just answered a post about 'which breast pump' and mentioned i would try and post a link about using 2nd hand pumps if i found it.

I hope i am ok to post this link, if not please tell me and i'll remove link and C&P ot, its just it was a bit long.

Hope this advice helps people though...Please read it, its quite scary really and for the safety of your baby

http://reviews.ebay.com/Used-Breast-Pum ... 0001640403

If that is true how do these places go on that rent out breast pumps because they are often those medala ones that are on that list?

yeah ours rent out the medula ones too. is there any more info on this, or is it sales speak from this women flogging them on ebay?

ive got a 2nd hand medula one :shock:

I've read this.... all the diseases this person has mentioned a) don't survive outside the body for longer than 24 hour periods (HIV for example can't last longer than a few hours which is why it is difficult to transmit other than by direct bodily fluid contact) or b) are destroyed by high temperatures such as sterilising or dishwasher's highest temp.

In fact the author contradicts himself with the following quote:

"FDA advises that there are certain risks presented by breast pumps that are reused by different mothers if they are not properly cleaned and sterilized. These risks include the transmission of infectious diseases or the risk of improper function. FDA believes that the proper cleaning and sterilization of breast pumps requires the removal of any fluid that has entered the pumping mechanism itself. If proper sterilization of the breast pump can not be achieved, FDA recommends that it not be reused by different mothers."

As long as you properly clean and sterilise the equipment then there is no risk... in fact most hospitals reuse their larger equipment but obviously sterile everything in an autoclave (industrial steriliser). So if sterilising was not sufficient to clean equipment then anyone who has been in hospitals would have these diseases.

sorry if i've cause a stir girls, never meant too :oops:

This isn't the article i read about it, it was about 2 years ago when i was looking for a pump for feeding ben but this article i found the other night when i was loking for it for the other post i'd replied to .

I just thought i'd post about it as i only came across it by accident when i was previously looking.

I was all for a 2nd hand pump till i read the article then i thought i'd buy new to be better safe than sorry.

My friend hired one from the health visitors last year when she had her baby. It was all sterilised before it was handed to her so was fine as far as I know.

I've bought a Tommee Tippee one anyway as we have the TT steriliser too :D

moomoo192 said:
sorry if i've cause a stir girls, never meant too :oops:

This isn't the article i read about it, it was about 2 years ago when i was looking for a pump for feeding ben but this article i found the other night when i was loking for it for the other post i'd replied to .

I just thought i'd post about it as i only came across it by accident when i was previously looking.

I was all for a 2nd hand pump till i read the article then i thought i'd buy new to be better safe than sorry.

you didn't cause a stir... :) Its something to debate before the waiting to pop situation drives me stark raving mad :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back