Donovan's birth story 24/11/10 *long*

kay126

Reaction score
Well it all begins two weeks before my due date, I lose my plug and go to sleep with strong braxton hicks, woke OH up in the morning because I was in a puddle of wet! My waters have gone we thought so we toddle off to the antenatal ward as organised by my community midwife to be examined.
We get there and a midwife does a speculum has a quick look and says my waters havent gone and that it must have been a weak bladder, i insist on a second opinion because ever since i had left the house i had been leaking little uncontrollable spurts of water, the second midwife agrees it must be incontinence and off me and OH go, me being thoroughly embarrassed!
The next couple of days pass the same little leaks and spurts of water happening, I ring the birth centre and am told unless I am filling a maternity towel in an hour or its a continuous leak its not my waters. Now because neither of these things occur I just cope for the next week or so with my weak bladder as I was told it was.
It comes to my regular midwife appt day before my due date and midwife finds blood in my urine so sends me off to the hospital to get a thorough checkover. I explain in the hospital once again about the leakages and they organised a scan to check for the volume of water i have... the sonographer insists i have gallons of water around bubs and she would insist my waters havent gone but refers me to a doctor for a speculum because of the blood in my urine...
The doctor comes in and does the speculum and announces yes in fact my hind waters had gone and me and bubs were at a major risk of huge levels of infection!
We got admitted straight away, loads of blood tests constant monitoring of bubs and attached to a drip i was told i wouldnt be leaving hospital until i have my baby... huge shock as i was planning a natural drug free homebirth!
the tests came back clear and doctor gave me a sweep i was already 2cm dilated when she first examined me so she said she would admit me and give me the night to see if the sweep kicked things of naturally otherwise i would have to be induced in the morning...
After a night of no sleep because i was attached to a monitor morning came, got taken to delivery suite where my front waters had to be broken by a man who looked like the nutty professor, it was horrific, the bed raised to his eyelevel legs in stirrups being prodded with what looked like a glorified knitting needle then hearing my waters splash from that height to the floor! ghastly!!!
Got put on a drip, monitor back on and was told i would not be allowed to move from lying on my back at all for the whole delivery:shock: i wasnt even allowed to go to the toilet they used a bed pan and made me lift my bum up! my contractions started coming thick and fast and it soon become clear that the baby was back to back and the worst position to be in for a back to back labour is flat on ur back! i have never felt pain like it and gas and air wasnt helping at all, 3 hours i screamed and screamed led on my back with two midwives telling me i couldnt get off the damn bed i honestly thought the baby was going to come out of my backside! eventually my oh told them to back off and helped me off the bed and pure relief came all at once, the only reason we can see as to why they didnt want me off the bed is because it meant them having to readjust the monitor part on my belly if it come out of place! the next midwife to come on duty said i could move around as much as i liked i just had to be careful of my drip, she even put me on a gym ball!
anyway after 10 hours i had only reached 4cms, i was examined by a midwife who mumbled under her breath 'oh dear' and hit the emergency button, a doctor came examined me and got another doctor for second opinion... they could feel that babys head was severely swollen from banging on my cervix where the forced contractions were trying to force bubs out and obviously he wasnt ready yet...
was rushed straight to theatre for the highest priority emergency c section, baby was out in minutes and i got a glimpse then he was taken away :-( i was so exhausted and lost an extreme amount of blood and fell unconcious for about half hour. next 5 days i was so weak i could barely hold bubs, numerous blood transfusions helped in the end though thankgod.
baby donovan was fine and swelling just looked and felt worse than it was but he still to this day has a huge ridge on the top of his head where it was coming into contact with my cervix.

i cant help but wonder what would have happened if the damn midwives trusted me wheni said i had lost my waters two weeks before!

Wow what a story! Such a shame they didnt listen to you, imho 90% of the time us mummys know whats really going on with our own bodies/babies.
Glad you were both ok though :)

My goodness kay, they sound like rubbish midwives. I think it's quite obvious what's urine and whats not! Shame you didn't have the easiest of births but he's here safe and that's the main thing. Congrats x

christ that sounds like a hprrendous birth....at least you're both ok now though and congratulations!! i'm going to be honest i had the same with my waters, but it wasn't left as long as yours but i went in three times and it was only the 3rd time they actually believed me. I think that J might have been back to back as well, becuase i had an induction, lay on my bak and the pain in my BUM was horrendous! i cant remember any other pain just thinking i was about to poo a baby out!!

Anyway big congratulations!! xxx

You poor thing, that sounds horrendous :shock: glad everything is ok now xx

Sorry the whole experience was so bad for you Hun! congratulations xx

Gosh huni you did so well! Im glad your OH got you off that bed, that drip causes ridiculously painful contractions anyway, some people say more painful than even the late contractions in a natural labour, so to do back to back AND lieing on a bed you're an absolute star. :yay: Induction really worries me the more I hear about it. It sounds like you ended up with a very traumatic experience :( If you wanna talk feel free to PM me, I had done hypnobirthing and had a rushed emergency section after a cruel induction too, so I can understand where you're coming from completely. :hug:

oh hun im sorry you had such a hard time! you did so well tho n well done to you OHthat he listen to you instead of midwives :hugs:
i was induced n noa was back to back - he was not ready to come out n it was horrendes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back