Does the amount you eat affect your babies birth weight?

LucyB.

Reaction score
Ive been pigging out loads during my pregnancy but my baby's weight says he's average for his gestation. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether us eating loads while pregnant has any effect on what they will weigh? Xxx

it mainly only effects your baby if you have health problems that relate to blood sugars etc. I have gestational diabetes and I have to keep my sugar levels in the normal range as it makes the baby put on more weight if they are exposed to high sugar levels for long periods of time.

hope this helps x

I think it's more about what you eat. I drank gallons of milk towards the end of my pregnancy with my daughter, the midwife thought that may have been why she was so heavy!

I was wondering this as well, as just recently ive been pigging out on loads of sweet stuff lol, I asked at the last scan I had what weight he would roughly be and they are saying 8lb4 :-O but they are saying that's a healthy weight xxx

I watched a documentary on something like this and one interesting fact was that babies in Saudi Arabia (not too sure of country) whose mothers were pregnant during Ramadan (i.e. who fasted for a month of their pregnancy) were still born with healthy birth weights, looks like the placenta is very good at delivering what's needed.

I don't know about the other way round (eating more than is strictly required) but i thought this was interesting enough to share :)

Having said this my mother put on 3 stone (went from 8 to 11) in all her pregnancies and me & my brothers were all born at normal weights.

Xx

Last edited:
the more you eat the more energy and sugar is given to the baby hence the higher weight gain. In a sense if you eat high fat and sugar it is more likely to give a heavier baby than a vegetarian x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back