Do you cuddle your baby...

I ask because when Sebastian decided enough was enough with ci-sleeping he started stirring at every movement and when I put him in cot on his own, with a t-shirt that I'd been. Wearing that day he drifted straight off xx

Awwwww xxx I know what you mean xx with him being so light a sleeper have you tried putting him in his cot and sitting next to it until he's asleep-then leaving? Or keeping cot next to your bed?
Its next to the bed and I would even hold his hand, he screams so much he doesnt even notice. He only stops when I pick him and and cuddle him

Yeah, I tried the comforter and my clothes as well, he is a very stubborn baby

Knopk - Have you tried a Tomee Tipee cherry dummy? They come in pink and blue only for 1-6months (i can't find any others like it). Also have you seen this website, i've posted it a couple of times. Sleep breeds sleep. Not much help if you can't get them to sleep, but I had problems with him screaming at night when over tired, so went to the awake for an hour and a half, then sleep for the same.
http://www.boswellbunch.com/simone/Babies/4_Month_Olds....html

Aoibheann actually askes to go to bed lately :) around 6.30 or 7 she usually comes over wIth her blankie climbs into my lap and asks to go night night .
If she didnt she would still be put to bed at the same time . She has a cuddle and a story and out I go . Lily goes to bed at 9.30/10 after her last bottle . She is wrapped up in her swaddle and put down , she'll usually wimper for a minute or two then go to sleep . If she didnt settle properly I'd make sure shes not wet , sore , windy then cuddle her and out her back down . I'll sit where she can see me but unless she was upset I'd let her doze off by herself.

Knopk - Have you tried a Tomee Tipee cherry dummy? They come in pink and blue only for 1-6months (i can't find any others like it). Also have you seen this website, i've posted it a couple of times. Sleep breeds sleep. Not much help if you can't get them to sleep, but I had problems with him screaming at night when over tired, so went to the awake for an hour and a half, then sleep for the same.
http://www.boswellbunch.com/simone/Babies/4_Month_Olds....html

I'm "trying" this method too, works well so far, LO used to be a nightmare for naps, now its going really well.

Franna what do the dummies do? Are they ones that stay in a bit better?

:)

I cuddle and feed to bed but as we're only two and a half months it is much too early for anything different. she usually settles very well in her cot (next to our bed)
after feeds at night.

Littlemiss - those dummies are just rounder than the other ones. I tried the flatter ones and he spat them out, but took to those straight away - I remember having the same type!

He goes to sleep with it, but it tends to drop out after 20 mins! Also when he woke in the night the other day, I just put it back in and he went to sleep. I'd usually been taking him out of his crib and feeding him.

Littlemiss - those dummies are just rounder than the other ones. I tried the flatter ones and he spat them out, but took to those straight away - I remember having the same type!

He goes to sleep with it, but it tends to drop out after 20 mins! Also when he woke in the night the other day, I just put it back in and he went to sleep. I'd usually been taking him out of his crib and feeding him.

I bought this dummy - after going through my whole pregnancy saying i wont use the dummy lol and after a few weeks of soothing on my boob and me mistaking it for feeding (bf support lady told me) i thought he was a hungry baby i bought the cherry teat tommee tippee dummy! A godsend, he does exactly the same... although he does use it whilst awake, but spits it out when he is ready.

issac is put in his crib half asleep after a feed on a night and during the day if he is tired i will try and put him on his back but most the time he likes to sleep on his tummy and he dozes off himself, but he gets loads of cuddles through the day :)

x

Just wanted to add that he self settles at night and has done since he was 9 months old and went in his own room xxx

This is lovely to hear because I cuddle Jack to sleep and don't want to stop. I'm hoping he learns to self settle at night, did you do anything to help him at all? If I put Jack in his cot awake at any point during the day he will settle himself to sleep but it takes at least 30mins of him tossing & turning and moaning. He has a dummy and muzzy for comfort and loses his dummy and hasn't learnt how to find it himself yet so I have to stay in his room until he's sleeping. Whereas if I cuddle him to sleep it takes 5 minutes max ... I know which I prefer!! x

Last edited:
I would really love LO to settle herself to sleep now as I worry I will struggle the more pregnant I get etc. But I just wouldn't even know where to start I have always cuddled her and she never goes in her cot in the day!

I'm sure most people will want to tell me how I made a rod for my own back but when she was little I wouldn't even put her in the cot while I had a shower I waited and had one in the evening and I still do! I literally took her everywhere with me I couldn't even go to the toilet without having her in my eyeline in the first month!

I did co sleep with her for the first couple of months too but then she went in a crib next to me because I was finding it uncomfortable but whenever she is unwell I let her sleep with me!

I had so many people tell me how dangerous it was blah blah blah and I was like there is no way on earth I'm going to squash my baby I know she is there my MIL was disgusted by it! But she also told me if she could turn back time she wouldn't have had her kids so you can what kind of mother she is!

LO will only very rarely fall asleep if he's being cuddled. Most of the time we put him down with his dummy and a muslin and he drops off. Occasionally I have to stay in his room at night until he drops off. I dont see anything wrong with cuddling to sleep at all.

I do whatever Grace wants at the time, although she doesn't like to be laying down held unless she feels unwell otherwise she needs to be over the shoulder to see :)
For nighttime once she's had her bottle & burp I have a quick cuddle but she goes down still awake and settles herself

Is it branded wrong because babies need independence?
I'm 20 years old and I still love mummy cuddles off my mum, it makes me feel happy and loved.
In fact at my 17/18th birthday party I fell asleep in my mum's arms because I was tired from the party/sleepover the night before :lol: Imagine an 18 year old sleeping on you! xxx

I don't think it's because babies need independence, and to be honest I've never heard anybody say it's 'wrong' - just that it makes it more difficult as they get older to get them settled if they're always relying on you to cuddle them to sleep. At what point do you stop [cuddling them to sleep]?

I often cuddle her to sleep during the day for naps, and cuddle her loads in general, but at night she goes into her cot and will settle herself to sleep within about 15mins and it's been this way since she was about 8 weeks old.

I'm not saying cuddling to sleep is wrong, either. If Poppy screamed every night I wouldn't just leave her in the cot. Luckily she's quite happy to fall asleep by herself.

Cameron is colicky so the world would end if I didn't cuddle him to sleep. Mother in law told me today that I was spoiling him by holding him all the time. She doesn't seem to realise that is the only way to keep him quiet! He also has reflux, so I need to keep him up right for at least 20 minutes after each feed and he normally falls asleep during this time.

M is almost 1 and unless in the pushchair. Or car I still cuddle her to sleep she used to go down in her cot but after 2 hospital stays she's become very clingy and won't sleep unless I'm there and panics when she can't find me. She's getting better and at night will go down at 7 with bottle and doesn't need me until 11 when she stirs shell then usualy sleep throughx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I cuddle C at night as I'm still bf'ing I couldn't imagine it any other way tbh. I'm not worried about him not settling when he's older, I'm more concerned with him being a content and secure baby right now. Providing he grows up content and secure then he won't need me To cuddle him to sleep when he's older.

Having said the above I just out him in his cogs whilst getting ready for bed myself and he's just put himself to sleep.... :eh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back