Baby to Toddler

twinkle84

Reaction score
Hey all, my LO will be one in a few weeks (flown by) but I just wondered how u make the transition between baby and toddler? Like when should he have cups for milk instead or bottles? Also I still give him bottles and we have a cuddle! Should he really be doing it himself? (he can do it and feeds own juice etc) probably the biggest prob is that I cuddle him to sleep! It's always worked and I enjoy the snuggles! But I know he really should be getting himself off! I'd be so thankful for any tips and advice please!! X

I think personally since Noa is 1 (last week) I'm really thinking he's not a baby anymore. He now have a bowl n fork every meal time, I'm chucking his bottles away n I'm trying to stop evening milk (if he's eaten well)
I think u need to do what's best for u but the longer u treat him like a "baby" the harder it will be. My sister still have to cuddle her son to sleep n he's over 2! She says its a nightmare. I wouldn't feed Noa (never really have) when he can do so himself and I cuddle him on thw sofa then just kiss him goodnight, lights of n close the door. And he never moans as he's used to it. Xx

Charley goes to sleep no problems, day time naps are a little hard though. He still has 2-3 bottles a day, I'll keep giving him bottles until he doesn't want them anymore.
I'm trying to teach him to eat with a fork ATM but he'd rather suck the end and pick up the food with his fingers! Lol!
Oh and he still won't hold his own bottle, I think I baby him too much!
I still class charley as a baby though as he's not walking, once he's walking I might be a little harder on him to do all these things!

Drake is 13 months old and like LM I still class him a baby as he's not walking yet. I'm in no rush to get rid of his bottles, he'll let me know when he doesn't want them. He has 2 day and I asked my HV if I should be on weaning him off him but she said do whatever feels right, he'll tell me if he doesn't want them. Tbh he only has around 3oz from each bottle so I think pretty soon I'll dro his morning one as see how he goes. I think his evening one I'll leave till later on as it's part of his bedtime routine. I think I'll experiment a bit more with him having milk from his cup (which he doesn't like!) he drinks water from it fine. Think I might get a new cup and only allow it for milk. I think right now his current cup he associates it with water so won't except anything else in it.

I'll give him a fork and sooon at dinner times and he likes using them. Think I only started using when he was one though. And I still like to cuddle him during his feeds, he can feed himself with his bottle but it's the only cuddle I get in the days so I don't mind! Lol

oh no!!!!!!!!! baby to toddler! my lo is not my baby no more! hes grown up so much!i stopped thinking of his as a baby when he started to properly walk.

as for bottles, he still has 2 a day, morning and night. we have tried all different types of beakers, but he wont drink it from them. he has juice and water from it no probs. as for bedtime, he usually goes down awake with light show and is alseep within 10mins. daytime naps, are now only once a day, and he goes down no probs!! as for eating with the fork, etc, im having enough probs atm to get him to actually eat, so im not too worried about introducing cutlery just yet.

Herbie is staying a baby forever so there lol
He still has bottles but will feed himself it and likes to feed himself with a fork, I'm in no hurry for him to grow up he's over 13months now xxx

oh no!!!!!!!!! baby to toddler! my lo is not my baby no more! hes grown up so much!i stopped thinking of his as a baby when he started to properly walk.

as for bottles, he still has 2 a day, morning and night. we have tried all different types of beakers, but he wont drink it from them. he has juice and water from it no probs. as for bedtime, he usually goes down awake with light show and is alseep within 10mins. daytime naps, are now only once a day, and he goes down no probs!! as for eating with the fork, etc, im having enough probs atm to get him to actually eat, so im not too worried about introducing cutlery just yet.

Have u tried to just leave a fork with a piece of food on on his tray? Noa loved it n started eating more after a period he ate less :hugs:

Have u tried to just leave a fork with a piece of food on on his tray? Noa loved it n started eating more after a period he ate less :hugs:

i have tried it but he either threw the whole thing on the floor, or took the pice of food of the fork and ate it that way! that was a few weeks ago, so i will try again tonight.... eek. thanks. xoxo

I considered Paige a toddler once she started walking and now I look at her and there's no way I could class her as a baby anymore :( I feel bad even putting her in the baby section at soft play! I've taken her bottles away apart from the one before bed. She doesn't need it but it's more of a comfort thing. I don't mind her having it so it's all good :) she feeds herself and walks a lot of the time now too. I actually really like her at the age she is :)

yes I think Owen is def a toddler now, it seems to have happened so fast in the last 2 months! we did a straight swap from bottles to beaker about 11 months, he didnt have much milk for a few days but is fine now, he doesnt really down it but I try to get him to have a bit more by giving him a cup and straw and holding the cup for him, he loves a straw!!

hes using spoon,fork and bowl/plate at all mealtimes, sometimes just uses his fingers and has a good play putting things in and out of the bowl but we're getting there.

we had to do proper controlled crying at about 10 months as he wasnt letting us pat or shh him and int he long run its been fab. He didn't go through the night til 9 months + but now doing til 8 am some days :):)

just dropped his am nap by his choice, did not thing he was ready as some days he's so tired, the one nap he has a day is our struggle now-he goes down ok its just sometimes he only has half an hour and clearly is not enough!

last 3 weeks we have been having full on tantrums, it's been pretty horrid and I have found it hard. Leg buckling, back arching, head banging! weve ignored totally and then redirected and they are def getting shorter! really enjoying doing baby signing with him and the emergence of his version of words and new sounds!

loving this stage, apart from the tantrums!!

Thanks so much to all if you! We are all different and its what works for each of us! I worry about things but usually all falls into place! He's not walking yet, so maybe I have my baby a bit longer! (forever I wish) don't mind him having bottle of milk at bedtime but he still has 6oz first thing and in the afternoon before nap! Is he ok to still have these? But in a beaker cup?? I think mainly I'm going to work on him getting himself to sleep!
Minchin your LO seems to be doing well, keep up the good work and hope the tantrums get better!
Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back