Do you consider OH's neices and nephews as your own?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
I tell everyone I have 4 nephews (soon to be 5), I always refer to OH's nieces and nephews as 'OH's nieces and nephews'

It's mainly to differentiate which side of the family I am on about lol.

OH and I have been together since all but one of the kids have been born (his oldest niece is 18 lol) but I sign cards from uncle B, Nat and James.

I consider my bro's partner and my sisters partner as James' aunt and uncle. I consider OH's bro's partner as aunt to James as well.

I just don't refer to the kids as "my nieces and nephews" iykwim?

Am I weird?

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
We'd always refer to each other's Nieces and Nephews as "ours", because they are; as a child my Auntie or Uncle's partners were always Auntie and Uncle too so if I'm their Auntie then they're my niece or nephew.

There are so many of the little blighters it is hard to keep track, I guess that's why I differentiate :lol:

5 on my side, 4 on OH's and counting! I can't believe James has 9 cousins. I only have 2 lol.

xxxx

Last edited:
There are so many of the little blighters it is hard to keep track, I guess that's why I differentiate :lol:

5 on my side, 4 on OH's and counting! I can't believe James has 9 cousins. I only have 2 lol.

xxxx

Our future little ones' aren't going to have many cousins. I have 2 nieces and a nephew and can't see that number really growing more than maybe one or two.

I have 4 first cousins, all on Mum's side - none on my Dad's side. My Mum has something like 15 at least so I have lots of 2nd and 3rd cousins, although I know all their names which is a bit of a feat!

If he has any then no I'm not sure i would as I don't think of my SIL's fiancé as my lo's aunt so would be unfair to be the other way round.
What's making it more that way I think is my SIL doesn't want to have children of her own but her girlfriend does so if they do have babies I think it will be her egg and diner sperm so technically not even oh's blood relation if that makes sense.

I have no neices or nephews but ever since I met OHs sisters family, I've been auntie, so I do call them my neices too. I love em to bits even though I only stay with them a few times a year!

Xx

When i talk about oh's neices i say carl's neices but i sign all cards Auntie and uncle. They all call me.Auntie.

My neices and nephews call him uncle too.

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

xxxx

Same as!!

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

I don't refer to OH's nieces and nephews as my own, but maybe because that's because I don't have any of my own anyway? Plus, his eldest niece is only 3 years younger than me and I would find it a bit odd being her "auntie" even though my cousin's auntie was younger than her.xx

BIL doesn't have any kids but if he did they'd be my niece/nephew as well.

DH is uncle Scott to my bros kids, and SIL is Auntie Kirsty to G (&bump)

My bro was a wee bit more excited when G was born cos she was his first niece - even though there were kids on my SILs side, but also I guess they both see G more than her brothers kids cos of distance.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I have no nieces or nephews from my sister. My husband has three from his sisters. I don't call them mine, his sister is a lot older than him and her children are closer to my age than I am to her age so they just don't feel like nieces and nephews. The third one was born since I've been with my husband, however he doesn't speak to that sister and so we don't have anything to do with them, I just post birthday and Christmas presents to her son as I feel it is not his fault that his mum and uncle don't get on. I just sign them with our names, not aunt or uncle.

Don't have any nieces or nephews on hubbys side, but I would consider them my nieces/nephews if they did.

Likewise, both SIL's partners are referred to as Aaron's uncles

It depends on the circumstance. If I am talking to a stranger/someone I dont know that well then I will say 'my' niece or nephew just to avoid having to explain too much.
If not, I will say 'Tim's' niece/nephew.
Again, we have lots of children on both sides of the family and I think I do it to make it clear exactly who it is I am talking about? Also, we dont give 'aunt/uncle' cards nor do we sign them from aunt/uncle, we sign our first names and that's it. because of this I am not totally sure that OH's sister or brothers would necessarily class me as an aunt, it has never really arose so I would hate to assume the name of Aunt if that makes sense?

i always refer to them as my nieces. we are a family now, his family is my family too...

i always refer to them as my nieces. we are a family now, his family is my family too...

That's exactly what I think. I sign cards to "my" niece and nephew from 'auntie Lorna and uncle Scott'

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Same as hope. We are family, so "my" nephew is his nephew too...

My hubby doesn't have any brother or sisters, but my sister has a son and my hubby refers to him as his nephew. I thought that was how everyone dealt with it tbh.

I hadn't really thought about this before but both mine and my OH sister have children and I consider them all my nieces and nephews. However if I think about it my OH will say your niece or your nephew when referring to one of my sisters children. I don't think it's deliberate as like me he sees them all as our family I think it's his way if differentiating them, if you see what I mean xxx

once we got married I started calling them my nieces and nephew
don't think anything of it now
xx

I have 2 nieces and a nephew on my side of the family and OH has a niece and nephew on his. I don't think he sees my niece and nephew as his (though to be fair, my niece is more like a younger sister than a niece as there's only 6 years between us) but the eldest were born before we met and the other niece I've only met once since she was born 9 years ago!

I refer to OH's niece and nephew as his rather than mine and he gets an uncle birthday card but I just get a normal one lol we're not married so don't know if that makes much of a difference xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back