baby's 1st birthday - what to do?

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
Ok, I know Imogen isn't 1 til december but I know that time will whizz past and I am already thinking of what to do for her 1st bday. I know she'll be none the wiser but I'd like her to see pictures of her special day.

Ok here are the logistics.

Who to invite....these are all the special people in Imogen's life

Family - Mum and dad are split up (last Nov) Dad has a new lady friend :D Mum and dad are on good terms but Mum hasn't met dad's new lady yet! I know they may not even be together in Dec but I have to consider the dynamics.

Brother and SIL - and their 4 kids, who will be 13, 7, 5 and 18m

Partner's elderly aunt and Uncle - 70 ish

Imogen's baby friends - 2 girls and 2 boys around same age (with their mums/dads of course)

Don't want to spend loads, don't want it all in our house (not enough room and we end up babysitting my brother's kids :shakehead: too!)

Any suggestions?

Wondering if we should celebrate with a couple of separate occassions with different people. e.g. babies celebrate together, then with B and SIL family, then my mum and dad separately/together and aunt/uncle?

dec will be cold so not keen on a farm trip or anything like that.

What do you all suggest? What did you do with your little ones?

Thanks.
x

My LO is 1 in August, this is also on my mind. I've done some reading etc and seemingly what you and I consider a party (people, noise, music, lots of decorations etc) baby will completely hate. The rule of thumb seems to be KEEP IT SIMPLE. We are having a simple garden party, parents, Godparents & Grandparents - thats it, it's still a good dozen people, a nice get together type thing but it's not overwhelming for LO. I've been to a few partiesfor kiddies who are 1 or 2 and the kids just end up upset, crying, fighting for the toys etc....I've also been to a 3 year old's party and have to say that went MUCH better, they had litte friends around etc....so for 1st & 2nd you can make it memorable with a few closest relatives or best friends etc, a couple of balloons and streamers etc and perhaps a nice cake or something, LO will love the attention from a few others being there but not be overwhelmed or clingy because their house has been decended upon by thousands. Talking to a few other mummies they seem to think along the same lines for the first birthday or two but it's up to you - just saying what I've read and the general opinion I seem to have gathered type thing.

As for a venue if you did have a few too many for your house, have you a village hall, local community centre, church hall etc - you can hire them out for just a few pounds per booking and they all tend to have small kitchens to make cups of tea and keep the food seperate etc. It's the cheapest option I can think of really.....things like hiring a marquee for the garden would be nice but it's December so you'd also need heating (expensive) and hiring the marquee to start with is expensive too and your LO is too young to have a birthday party say in the local zoo or McDonalds etc.

Let us know what you come up with anyway...it's certinally top of my plans and thoughts just now too!!

Thanks for your suggestions... will chat to OH about your ideas. I will let you know of what we decide. The church hall thing sounds good. We could take some toys and make a play area I guess for babies and have an adult seating area too.

Lots to think about!

Oh's aunt will make a special cake, she is great at that stuff.

Thanks again. Any more ideas please share!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back