discipline - spanking etc.

SarahH said:
I chose to take away toys until the realise what they have done. I think tho whole naughty step is rediculous... especially when yu see it on supernanny.

+i think he naughty step is brilliant. immobilising my kids when they are naguhty is the worse thing you can do to them. Co they are so active . they HATE it. :lol:

budge said:
SarahH said:
I chose to take away toys until the realise what they have done. I think tho whole naughty step is rediculous... especially when yu see it on supernanny.

+i think he naughty step is brilliant. immobilising my kids when they are naguhty is the worse thing you can do to them. Co they are so active . they HATE it. :lol:

That's so true. The naughty step, door, room, corner, chair, whatever, is the most effective method I've used.

What's ridiculous is that anybody actually BUYS a Jo Frost 'naughty step' to put in their house :doh: :doh:

Sammystar said:
budge said:
SarahH said:

That's so true. The naughty step, door, room, corner, chair, whatever, is the most effective method I've used.

What's ridiculous is that anybody actually BUYS a Jo Frost 'naughty step' to put in their house :doh: :doh:
can you buy one? :shock:
WAYYYY :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl:

its not a bad idea though - and its not too bad a price.

I reckon i wil get one for my husband - he loves being disciplined.

opps better go to adult section :rotfl:

Dont get me wrong I think it is good if it's something naughty... but on Supernanny the kids have (for example) just thrown a brick through the lounge window, spat and swore at their mother and it's "now now, lets get you to sit here for 5mins to calm down" yeh right... I'd be putting them into a borstal! :shock:

SarahH said:
Dont get me wrong I think it is good if it's something naughty... but on Supernanny the kids have (for example) just thrown a brick through the lounge window, spat and swore at their mother and it's "now now, lets get you to sit here for 5mins to calm down" yeh right... I'd be putting them into a borstal! :shock:

thats extreme isn't it. thats beyond naughty to me. If things have gotten that bad then its a bad thing on the parents :(

budge said:
If you discipline your child and set firm bounderies in the early years (2- 5) then by the age of 5 onwards you will have no problem with them becasue you have set your standards of them and they know whats expected of them .
Absolutely. As a teacher I see far too many parents who don't "parent" and instead try to be "friends" with their children. Then they complain that they cannot control their children...They are also incredibly perceptive and know when you're saying something you don't mean - so will push you.

Kylie1007 said:
budge said:
If you discipline your child and set firm bounderies in the early years (2- 5) then by the age of 5 onwards you will have no problem with them becasue you have set your standards of them and they know whats expected of them .
Absolutely. As a teacher I see far too many parents who don't "parent" and instead try to be "friends" with their children. Then they complain that they cannot control their children...They are also incredibly perceptive and know when you're saying something you don't mean - so will push you.

thanks. i do get comments from teachers that my children are well behaved and it makes me so proud.
one teacher told me that rebekah(child 2) had unfailing manners. i couldn't get out the school i had swollen so much with pride. :D

budge said:
Kylie1007 said:
budge said:

thanks. i do get comments from teachers that my children are well behaved and it makes me so proud.
one teacher told me that rebekah(child 2) had unfailing manners. i couldn't get out the school i had swollen so much with pride. :D

Awwwww :cheer:

SarahH said:
budge said:
Kylie1007 said:
budge said:

Awwwww :cheer:

well i think that makes all the hard work of parenting worht while doesn't it. you spend years sowing the seeds and its nice to get some harvest from it all.

I don't believe in hurting a child, I smacked Mason once or twice, but only in very extreme circumstances, for example if he ran across a car park etc.
I can very clearly remember the last time I smacked him, I was walking on a beach with my friend, Mason was probably about 3 1/2 he turned and RAN, and ran and ran and ran and ran, I had a heavy coat on, all the pockets were full of stuff like my phone and my camera, I had a rucksack on and he ran FAST. He must have made it a good half a mile before i caught him, even though I was shouting at him to stop the whole time.
I smacked him cos what he did was dangerous.

Brody is getting very stubborn and tantrumy now, but I won't smack him, I have sat him down a few times to calm down, but thats it.
Later, when he understands more, I might take a toy away. If Mason were to really play up now I'd take away his DS, I KNOW that would work. I'm very lucky though, he's good as gold 99% of the time.

Even before mine is born, I say to my OH "If you EVER see me doing/saying that, shoot me!!" If anything , you see some parents who show you how (not) to parent by totally doing the wrong thing. It would break your heart.

laetitia85 said:
My DH also believes in spanking, I'm still trying to make up my mind on it! I suppose it's got its benefits but I think it will have to be used as a last resource. And I won't be the one doing it!! I'm too soft! I will leave it to my husband! But I wouldn't want it to get to a stage where we'd have to spank. I hope our little one will understand our message from the beginning, but kids will be kids ![/quote

Oh, it would be a last resort for me, like a tap but not a slap on the back side. However, I reckon i'd be too soft to do anything like that. I think sending them to their rooms without their toys/tv/food etc until they have learnt the lesson is a good way.

When we were older, the worst thing my mum made me do was phone up the person whose house we were supposed to be going to, and explain why we couldn't go!

Kylie1007 said:
When we were older, the worst thing my mum made me do was phone up the person whose house we were supposed to be going to, and explain why we couldn't go!

i have done that before.
aren't i awful. :rotfl:

budge said:
Kylie1007 said:

i have done that before.
aren't i awful. :rotfl:

I think it's a good way of dealing with it - however not when you're the child!! :rotfl:

krystalmair said:
I haven't voted cos I'm not sure...

Jack only a baby so couldn't ever imagine smacking him. I hopefully won't ever need to.

I was never smacked as a child, i knew I'd pushed my mam to far just by tone of her voice and would soon stop playing up so hopefully can just use mummy voice with Jack

me niether... Mainly because the first two choice ask if I raise my hand to my child and no I don't.

I was quite badly smacked as a child... by both my parents... My mum used to just loose it with me, and give me these horrible syllable smacks where she would say a sentence... usually something like "you will not do that again do you understand me!!!???" and for every syllable in that sentence she would smack me... and it wasn't just taps on the back of the hands... I've been slapped round the head, ears, legs, bum... If I was really really naughty (don't ask me what though as I between 2 and 14 years old) my dad used to come home, my mum would tell him what I had done and he would get his slipper and smack me with that.

It didn't help me be more behaved..... No way... It made me more rebellious I think, and damaged the relationship between me and my mother for a long time... Now its much better and the syllable smack is now a basis of many a joke in my family... My mum stopped hitting her kids when my sister came along.. She admits now she was wrong, and that she learnt with age.

Now I won't touch Tia, and you know what.. I've never needed too... I've smacked her twice in punishment...once because she went to stick her fingers in a socket and I just panicked and smacked her hand away....and another time when she slapped me round the face, so I smacked her back across the hand so she knows how it feels. I use a variety of methods, but mainly I make a threat, such as if you don't stop that I'll throw your barbie doll in the bin, when she doesn't stop I go ahead and do it and I refuse to have eye contact or speak with Tia until she has said sorry for what she has done...It works all the time... also now telling her how disappointed and sad she has made me feel works too.

My daughter used to throw huge tantrums when she was little over what her daddy would do or say to her, and a lot of times she would get extremely violent, kicking, biting, scratching... but I never smacked her... Sometimes I would just restrain her till she had burnt herself out, in case she hurt herself, or like now, she takes herself off into her bedroom, screams and fights her pillow, and then I go in and have a little chat with her, where invariably the truth comes tumbling out.

My bro was VILE when he was little - really naughty! The amount of times my mum threatened to leave him in a layby in Cornwall with Mrs Baggit ....(the lady on the signs who tells you to pick up your litter!!!) :rotfl: :rotfl:

However...you probably have to tailor the punishment to the child. For me being sent to my room was no punishment because I could entertain myself and would just read but for my brother it would have been sheer hell.

Kylie1007 said:
My bro was VILE when he was little - really naughty! The amount of times my mum threatened to leave him in a layby in Cornwall with Mrs Baggit ....(the lady on the signs who tells you to pick up your litter!!!) :rotfl: :rotfl:

However...you probably have to tailor the punishment to the child. For me being sent to my room was no punishment because I could entertain myself and would just read but for my brother it would have been sheer hell.

oh i was a little monster as a child. But my mum never dealth with me until i got so bad she snapped and painted the walls with me! :rotfl:
the times i got slapped on every step of the stiars with my mum screaming on each slap ''don't - you - dare - talk - to - me - like - that - again''

i used to skip up the stairs two at a time so i would get slapped less :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back