Did I over-react?

Lauz_1601

Reaction score
Iv been working all bank holiday weekend helping out for the company my mum works for selling houses.

Anyway OH had Ella all weekend, the first time he's had her all day by himself. Anyway on the sunday he went to his mums for sunday lunch and he said he would get the car seat out the car so she could come pick him up instead of him having to walk there.

I was leaving work and was on the phone to him and I said oh no you forgot to get the car seat as I realised it was in the back of the car, he said........"Its ok I just held her and buckled us both in"

I totally flipped, its not a long car journey, about 5 mins but thats not the point. I swore at him :shock: and was so upset for some reason I was practically crying. I sound like a looney now hehe but I just think its so dangerous and I was thinking "what if" you just dont know what idiots are out on the road. He said its ok my mum drives carefully! I was like thats not the point there are other people out there who dont drive carefully!

I know there are people who will sit babies on their knee's everynow and then for a quick journey but I personally wouldnt risk it. Do you think I over reacted? becuase OH thinks I did!

I would NEVER let me OH do this, and I don't think he'd ever want to either.

Car seats are there for a reason!

And "buckling them both in" can do more damage, if he shared a seatbeat with her, if they had an accident he would have been flung forward and the seatbelt would have squashed her with his weight.

Wrong Wrong Wrong I'm afraid!

i have held Harley a few times in the back of cars. what am i ment to do if kris like a sap has gone to work with Harleys car seat in the car and my dads coming to pick me up? i just put the belt round us both.

its dangerous i no, but i have :oops:

i always sit sit Dior in the back of other peoples car as her car seat is all fitted in my car it never gets taken out she sits next to me and wears the seatbelt.

ild never be able to live with myself if something did happen though

I'm with Urchin on this one - absolutely unacceptable.

dont know the stat but i think most accidents happen within something like five miles of home? so its just round the corner wont cut it!

i would have gone totally ape so i think you were well within your rights. there are enough dangers to our children that we cannot forsee or protect them against - this is one where we have at least some control so we can say ' we did all we could'.

hopefully this will be a wake up call to you oh. if not then i'd do some digging on the web and find some facts about what happens to a little ones body during an accident if not in a car seat - that may wake him up a bit!

glad all was ok though hun!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dionne hun i wasnt getting at you by the way :D - i can understand how tempting it can be as i dont drive either and have had the same problem.

just not something i would ever do, maybe you could look at getting a light weight car seat for dior that is easily transferable - kiddiecare do a britax one.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Em78 said:
Dionne hun i wasnt getting at you by the way :D - i can understand how tempting it can be as i dont drive either and have had the same problem.

just not something i would ever do, maybe you could look at getting a light weight car seat for dior that is easily transferable - kiddiecare do a britax one.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i no babe dont worry if i take the risk of being to honest on here i expect it lol. i wont take any thing to heart.
when you cant drive and you have to get 2busses with a double buggy i jump at the chance for a lift.

but god if some thing did happen i would not be able to live myself
busses are just as dangerous Harleys pram has gone flying a few times

i know the bus always worries me( we dont have buggy buses round here so the buggy has to be folded up). we have to get it at least 3 times a week when i take him to mil's when i go to work. i aways worry he'll fall out of my grasp if the bus crashes. i have him in a baby carrier but he wiggles and wants to be out of it (plus when it was hot it was unbearable!) so i hold him really tight when he's not in it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In your OH's defence, sometimes men just don't think! :think:

Lauz I would have gone totally mental aswell :evil:

I saw some woman in a 4x4 holding her baby in the air in the front seat, what a muppet!

I have once taken Ella out of her car seat, we were stuck in traffic and she was inconsolable in the back. We were in the middle lane going nowhere so I climbed into the back, fed her and strapped her back in. Took about 5 mins but I was totally crapping myself the entire time even though we were at a practical standstill.

I know that years ago the rules for carseats weren't as tight, which is why my mum didn't understand why I wouldn't jump into their car for a lift round the corner with Ella and instead walked in the rain (about a week after I had her). Maybe he was persuaded by his mother?

Never ever ever. I keep the car seat in the house if I have to use someone elses car.

urchin said:
I would NEVER let me OH do this, and I don't think he'd ever want to either.

Car seats are there for a reason!

And "buckling them both in" can do more damage, if he shared a seatbeat with her, if they had an accident he would have been flung forward and the seatbelt would have squashed her with his weight.

Wrong Wrong Wrong I'm afraid!

This is EXACTLY what I said to him, because I was told not to buckle Ella to me when we flew for the same reason! He said I didnt realise, I thought you were allowed to do it! I said well why do you think there so thingy (cant think of the word) about car seats, even up to the age of 11 and Ella is only 8 months! He apolagised and said he wouldnt do it again!

It also annoyed me that his mum would let him hold her on his knee! I thought she's have known better and be more sensible!

Kina said:
Lauz I would have gone totally mental aswell :evil:

I saw some woman in a 4x4 holding her baby in the air in the front seat, what a muppet!

I have once taken Ella out of her car seat, we were stuck in traffic and she was inconsolable in the back. We were in the middle lane going nowhere so I climbed into the back, fed her and strapped her back in. Took about 5 mins but I was totally crapping myself the entire time even though we were at a practical standstill.

I know that years ago the rules for carseats weren't as tight, which is why my mum didn't understand why I wouldn't jump into their car for a lift round the corner with Ella and instead walked in the rain (about a week after I had her). Maybe he was persuaded by his mother?

Just read this, Hayley got in the back with Ella when we were on our way to birmingham Ella was in a state crying sooooo bad, I asked Hayley get her out to try and calm her, I was driving, and I only did this as we were in more or less stand still traffic, otherwsie I would have waited and pulled over.

I was on the moterway yesterday and there was a lady sat in the back holding a baby........ON THE MOTERWAY! and this was just after Id kicked off at OH.

He now realises why its important they must be in a car seat no matter what the distance! and wont do it again. His mum and dad also know I wasnt happy so they will never do it again, well I hope not otherwise there will be world war 3 !!!!

No way didyou overreact Lauz I would have been the same.

glad its not just me who is very strict about this hehe definatly a no no in my books! (but no offence to anyone who does this we all make our own choices:) )

Sami said:
Never ever ever. I keep the car seat in the house if I have to use someone elses car.

Yeah my friend bought a second hand one to keep at home for when her OH took the car. It's just not worth the risk if you ask me.

No way did you over react at all. I would have been furious. My DH would never risk it.

I hope he knows never to do that again, it's not worth the risk. There are too many lunatics on the road and our babies are too precious to risk anything happening to them.

I won't drive unless all passengers in my car are belted in, I can't imagine ever having children in a car and not have them seated and belted up properly.

You see it all the time though, children scrambling and playing in the back of a vehicle.

No way did you over react, if my DH did that I think I would make it impossible for him to have any more children! lol

Imagine how he would have felt if they did have a accident- he'd never live with himself, that's why I dont take the risk...
He probably didnt mean any harm by the sounds of it & really didnt think what he was doing

As for the MIL - she should know better & put her grandaughter first! I suppose it their day tho they didnt have car seats so dont realise how important they are...I had a simular prob with my MIL

:wave: to Ella from Aimee

I would have gone mental too, I hate seeing children in cars without seatbelts on, especially when their parents are sat in the front wearing theirs!!!!! Why not put your childrens seatbelt on when you are wearing one..............

My husband waits until I have the seatbelt securley fastened around Katie's carseat before he even starts the engine.

But I can see how tempting it would be just for a 5 min journey. Also it can be quite stressful if the baby is crying in the car when you are stuck in traffic, I hate it when Katie gets distressed in the car, as her rear facing seat will only go in the back of our car she can't see me when I am driving and gets upset.

I'd never allow it! We're going over to Gibraltar next April and I asked my sister about finding a cheap car seat for us and she said "people son't seem to have them here, they just strap them in with the seat belt!" Sorry but no way am I doing that! If she don't find one we won't be going to Spain for daytrips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back