Do you leave your baby.....

Lucy

Reaction score
In the car when you fill up with petrol?

Think I'm having one of those days! I haven't filled up with petrol on my own since before Olivia was born and I will have to tomorrow morning - would I just leave her locked in the car in her car seat or do you take them into pay with you?

Generally speaking as well - is it the really wrong thing to ever leave your baby for a split second in the car seat if the car is parked and locked? I had an awful time dropping some stuff off at a charity shop as I was trying to carry the car seat (at which point Olivia woke up yelling) plus the stuff for the shop and my car was parked right outside so it would've been so much easier to have left Olivia in the car for the 2 mins it would've taken to lock car run in drop bag and run out again?

Thanks

Daft Lucy

I normally take Damien in with me, we have an easy car seat though as it drops into a fitted bracket and is easier to get in/out witout faffing.

hth x

Think I'm a bad mom, Seren is always asleep when I go to the ptrol station so I leave her in the car. I lock it up and make sure I am always at the pump nearest the shop. Make sure there isn't a massive queue either. Its just that if I wake her she will scream. If I am going to be any longer then a minute I take her with me. :oops:

I have only had to fill up once and Matthew was sound asleep in the car so I filled up and locked the car, but where I went you can see the cars while queing I didnt take my eyes off the car the whole time. it would have taken me ages faffing about getting him in and out and it was freezing cold and windy so he was better off in the car

Our tesco has a pay@pump, where you just stick your card in at the pump then fill up, its great if you have little ones, I said to OH the other da that all petrol stations should be like this.
Otherwise Im not sure what Id do, wether Id leave her in the car or not? I dont see why not if you do it like beanie said and get close to the store and make sure there isnt a big queue. beane your not a bad mum for doing this, I didnt relise that having a baby would face me with so many challenged, for example opening shop doors and mauvering the pram through (another thing all doors should be automatic!)

Lauz_1601 said:
Our tesco has a pay@pump, where you just stick your card in at the pump then fill up, its great if you have little ones, I said to OH the other da that all petrol stations should be like this.

Ours has too it's great!

If I can't get to Tesco, I will leave Brody in the car...although I prefer to leave him when I have Mason in the car aswell.

I once saw a woman leave her car running with the drivers door open while she used the cashpoint...I thought she was stupid..THEN whe she pulled off I saw a tiny baby strapped into the back seat!!!

I fill up all the time and it would be a nightmare to take him out and put him in again etc and he is totally heavy now.

I always lock the doors when I go out and keep looking out the window to check for men in raincoats.

Hey -

I agree that it's a pain but are you aware that it's illegal to leave a child or a pet alone in the car? :shock: Well, that is what I have been told. So I never do. Also, it's illegal to leave your car keys in the ignition while you go into a shop - as someone from a rural town I used to actually do this if I wasn't going to be away for very long - everyone knows everyone else in my village. We used to go to bed at night and leave the door unlocked! :oops:

Recently in Co. Cork, a man got into the back of a woman's car at a petrol pump, because she had left the car unlocked. He injured her quite badly I believe, but she managed to call for help. That frightened me...

But I'd never leave Naomi anyway, not even for a minute. She comes everywhere, even if there's a queue.

Sue

if i'm not going to be long i'll lock the doors and make sure i'm quick.

I heard once a long time ago that a lady went to pay for fuel or something and left the keys in the car, theif jumped in and nicked her car unaware of the baby in the rear facing carrier.
As far as i can remeber the car was found dumpped afew miles down the road! baby was ok.
But imagine what could have happened...

Also my hubby's car caught fire in a car park at the beginning of the year. the car had been parked for over an hour but an electrical fault it caught fire.

Thing is just be aware of whats around when you do park..

Hypnorm said:
I heard once a long time ago that a lady went to pay for fuel or something and left the keys in the car, theif jumped in and nicked her car unaware of the baby in the rear facing carrier.
As far as i can remeber the car was found dumpped afew miles down the road! baby was ok.

yeah just looked on the BBC news webbie and read about that!!

I have also heard such bad cases of people leaving babies in cars and going shopping in the heat!!!

Phew am glad others have done this. I half expected a lot of posts about how you all take your babies in and that I am a rotten mum. I agree though, I wish there were more pay at the pump garages, they are so much easier (plus I think they will reduce the amount of drive offs).

Thanks everyone, those pay at pumps are fab but I don't have one near me - think I'll see how it is tomorrow and how busy the station is!

Lucy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back