Dehydrated baby? Help please!

Missbatesy

Reaction score
I'm a little worried about my baby today, she's 2 weeks old and seems really really tired today, we had to wake her up for a feed and she spat up a bit after (quite normal though) I've been trying to get her to have some water but she has a couple of sucks and then gets all grumpy - I don't think she likes it!? She keeps making these little noises and trying to open her eyes then going back off to sleep. Is it just the heat making her tired or grouchy or do you think she's really dehydrated? Starting to worry!
Xx

I think a lot of babies have been more grumpy and sleepy in this heat - mine included! Has she had the same amount of milk today as normal days? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. But definitely trust your instincts and call out of hours if you feel you need to xx

Yeah she is still having the same amount she usually has I just had to wake her up for it which is unusual. I'm going to see how she is over the next few hours :) thankyou xx

I remember J being really sleepy at a couple of weeks and having to wake her for feeds. I think sometimes they have little growth spurts and sleep sort of non stop for a couple of days. It could be this, along with the weather.

Make sure you're still getting wet and dirty nappies but yeah keep an eye on her.

xx

Keep an eye on her nappies (no wet nappies means you need a Dr)

Also maybe try a syringe for the water (or a medicine spoon)

xxxxxx

Dry nappies, or strong-smelling, darker, wet nappies
Sunken eyes
Run your hand along her head (as if stroking her head from back to front), does the soft bit feel sunken
Dry looking (cracked, peeling) lips.

All signs of dehydration. If the fontanelle (soft part of head) is sunken, go to the doctors.

Give her an ice cube to play with. It will go in her mouth, and some water will get into her system. Not a lot, but some.

Use a medicinal syringe (comes with calpol) to slowly squirt little drops of water into her mouth. She's less likely to spit it out than if she sucks a mouthful in one go.
Squirt it into her cheek, not straight, so she can swallow it herself xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back