Dated wrong

kitty2016

Reaction score
We went for a private scan at 16 weeks and I was told that I was 2 weeks ahead of what I thought/what was confirmed by NHS scan.

The sonographer advised that I didn't mention this to my NHS caregivers as they were likely to challenge it and change dates which could ultimately effect my care.

I haven't really thought about it much until now. I'm now 34+3 and having some very strange feelings like it could be the beginning of labour (i'm FTM so not completely sure, just have a gut feeling). I'm slightly worried as I would be classed as preterm if anything did happen...

But if the sonographer was correct, then I could actually be 36+3! Which isn't quite as scary if I were to deliver sooner than expected.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you think I should mention to my midwife this week?:wall2:

How bizarre. I would run it by your midwife. I personally wouldn't mind being brought forward. Best of luck xxx

The reason we are dated at 12ish weeks is because after this babies grow all different weights and sizes so measurements aren't accurate, even with the nhs scans.

I think the older scanning machines displayed like a rough dating top corner but now they usually measure each thing and input it in and get your date or at least this is how it differed from my first pregnancy to now.

Also, first time round for me when I was 41w I was actually measuring 37w. Sonnographer advised a tiny baby and he was 7lb 3oz, not tiny at all.

So the scans can always be inaccurate for measuring after the dating scan however it won't hurt to mention to your midwife as baby could also just had a growth spurt in which case they will monitor that anyway so I'd mention it.

Regards to your symptoms that your having if your ever in doubt you can always phone maternity assesment and talk the symptoms and concerns with a MW, if they are concerned they will get you in for monitoring.

Good luck.

xxxx

Hmm. I think I'd mention it because your midwife is the one who sees you regular, unlike the private scan who has seen you once.

Thanks for your advice ladies, I think I will mention it at my appointment on Wednesday x

Well the dating scans are supposed to be done by 15+6 because after that they aren't as accurate. But, the other thing is a scan date is +/- 5 days so could be 5 days out.

What's your fundal height measuring? If you're measuring a week or two ahead then it's possible the dating scan was out. But otherwise I think I'd trust the NHS one more than the private one personally.

I am measuring bigger, I've been 1.5-2 weeks ahead every time I've been measured!

As I says I measured 4w out.... he was normal size and not as previously indicated.

xxxx

Could be then!!

With my first my dates put me as being due 10/5 but the dating scan put me back 7 days so due 17/5, but then towards the end I tended to measure 2 weeks ahead as well.
Also, I was induced at 37 weeks by scan date (38 weeks by my dates) and my baby weighed just under 6lb and the induction worked straight away (and actually I was already 1-2cm dilated when I went in, I'd been having contractions the day before but at the time I didn't realise they were contractions lol).

Can't honestly remember with my second. I think the scan dated me a little behind but only by a day or two from memory. Could be wrong though. I had 7/12 as my due date but can't remember now if that was LMP date or scan date.

FYI - mentioned to midwife this morning and she said to pay no attention to what the private scanner said as they have to go by NHS datings! Annoying if it affects my birth plan though as I really want a pool birth :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back