Scan dating worry

Sunshine_1

Reaction score
I'm slowly getting myself a bit worked up about this, which a bit silly so early on in my pregnancy but....

Years ago, before Scans, a pregnancy was dated by when the lady had her last period. 40 weeks later was due date.

When I had my daughter, the 'norm' was we were dated on when we had our last AF, and even if the Scan looked a little different, that was just the way it went, the only time we would be dated on a Scan alone is in the absence of any period for months previously or someone not having a clue when their last one was because they just couldn't remember.

Now it seems our date is set by a dating scan, sometimes moving our pregnancy dates by some 2-3 weeks compared to our AF dates.

This worries me....

When my OH was born, he was extremely late and there were all sorts of problems and complications because of this

When my daughter was born, I was induced 13 days after my due date, and I was told that it was good that she hadn't been left any longer (she'd shown some major signs of distress)

Now what panics me, is I'm not 100% sure how long after your due date they leave you now (in fact I'm told they start giving sweeps after a few days past etc) but I've been told it's 10 days? Now saying, because bubba is a little slow in growing they decide at scan to put you back 3 weeks, and then baby just doesn't want to come, and you go ten days over, your precious bundle could be anything up to a month over the date you have in your head in those first few weeks going by the date of your AF. Surely this cannot be good for bubba? In fact I worry that it's downright dangerous?

Perhaps it's me being old-fashioned, but I don't understand why they are relying on scans so much, especially when ladies like myself, and so many others on here know their dates of their last AF (and in my case even conception) so well. I know it CAN take a while for the egg to implant, but I know I was getting a few symptoms a week before my next period was due to start, we were well on our way by then, but a Scan could tell us all different.

Does anyone else see my point here and why I'm so worried? Does anyone know when they started this relying on the dating scan alone business?

I defo see ur point! When me and my partner conceived r little boy, By artificial insemination, So we knew exactly when he was conceived they still put her back a week! Then he was 2 weeks late her waters broke a week earlier but they didnt belive her and she ended up with a section because he was distressed and he nearly didn't make it :(
This time I am pg and was adamant they were not putting me back but to my surprise my due date was the same with scan as lmp!

It's deffinatly something to think about. I mean what happens if you have a smaller than average baby or bigger than average baby at the scan? The could risk it's life by been put forward or back too and forced to give birth when maybe it's not quite ready.

If you know roughly when you conceived then I think it is pretty rare to be put back / forward by 2 to 3 weeks? Surely that is only for people that have very irregular cycles or genuienly do not know when they conceived.

I've heard someone get moved forward a week in total depsite using OPK's. I was moved forward 3 days (and yep I used OPK's too!)

I think that is all to do with implantation - your due dated is calculated on an average so they also work out an average dateembroyo implanted, mine was 9pdo. However bub must have implanted earlier at 6dpo?

If you are really worried hun, maybe book an early scan and although they wont officially date you, they will give you a pretty good idea of your dates!

xxxxxxxxxxx

I have wacky cycles so had no idea what the outcome of my scan would be. Agree with above, if you know when you caught the egg then you can relax a bit more I'm sure x

I had a early scan at 6+1 and they said it looked more like 5 and half, so putting me back just less than a week, but obviously none of that is official yet, so hoping they won't change too much at the official dating scan. I'm glad you can see what I mean though. I am just concerned that I may go back by a week, then be two weeks late like I was with number 1 and end up with a baby three weeks late!!

Anyone know how late they let you go these days?

I think it's 14 days over . But if all's well with bubs and you they won't always intervene straight away .

Last edited:
I can see why you would be worried. Surely they wouldn't use this method if it wasn't reliable? I knew when we conceived as I was using OPKs my dates tie in with last AF so I really not worried at all. Once due date is here I will be trying anything to will baby out :) Spicy curries, long walks a bit of dtd is hubby is lucky :) hehe Just try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy and see what they say at your 12 weeks scan. x

I think they would be able to tell by features that should be in place by a certain gestation, not by size alone x

Yeah I think it's a bit more complicated than just size, it's things like development of kidneys etc. I also think its rare to have dates changed by weeks - its usually just a few days. I was put ahead 1 day. Also they'd be able to tell at your 20 week scan, how you were doing and then if you had been put back by weeks, I'm sure they'd adjust your due date if it turned out baby was just a bit slow to begin with. Then on top of that as you get closer to your due date, your bump is measured and if there is much discrepancy then they send you for growth scans. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage - just enjoy seeing LO at your scan and go with what they say until anything suggests otherwise x

Hi i can understand your point completely, my reason for understanding it is before i conceived this time, i m/c early feb, knew when we dtd, and worked out i was due the 21/11, at my dating scan they said i was 12wks n 4 days, when i looked back on the dates, i was mid m/c and told them no way the date was right, and was just told well maybe you have a big baby. after nearly arguing with the midwife n dr, they agreed to put my due date to the 17/11. When i met with my midwife the first time, i told her about it, and she said they would only let me go 12 days over. Hope this helps you x

My due date seems a bit off too, but only by a couple of days so I am not too concerned. I still think I am 19 weeks and 1 day rather than 18 weeks and 6 days.

I was offered a sweep on my duedate as in thsi area they only let you go 12 days over your due date this includes 2 sweeps then if no sign of baby you get induced x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back