Cradle Cap and hair loss

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Babybushie28, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Babybushie28

Babybushie28 Well-Known Member

My little boy is 9 weeks and has got cradle cap :( I started using detinox but I felt that it was getting worse so now I've been washing with warm water and using olive oil after its dried. He's had it about 2 weeks, how long does it usually last?

But I've noticed his hair is coming out in clumps and there is loads on the towel when I dry it, in his hairbrush, in his hats and he keeps scratching his head which leads to clumps falling out, is this normal?

Heres a pic . . . .

Xxxx

2. babybee

babybee Well-Known Member

I found when my daughter got it on her eyebrows breast milk was super effective at getting it off. Then she got it on her scalp and that's been tough to get off. I spoke with my health visitor and also the consultant pediatrician who said to keep it moisturised with oil but if it wasn't bothering her to just leave it. It did start bothering her so I've used a bit of Epaderm on it and that's been great and not taken her hair off. My friend also swore by this:
    http://uk.loccitane.com/mum-baby-balm-organic-certified,83,1,29776,272072.htm

Once it stopped bothering her I've just left it. I just checked and she still has a little bit on there at 22 weeks but its not much at all. My friend who used the above cream said it cleared completely after 2 weeks.

I hope it clears for your lo soon chick. Xxx

3. babybee

babybee Well-Known Member

And yes it is normal I forgot to mention! I used Epaderm because it soothed the itchiness for her.
    Xxx

#3 babybee, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. clairebear22

clairebear22 Well-Known Member

Jack didn't have cradle cap but had lots of dark hair that was almost gone by the time he was 4 months old. It then started to grow back blonde. His never fell out in clumps but it did fall out pretty fast. Harry had cradle cap and i smothered his head in oil before a bath and gently brushed it with ine of Jack's old toothbrushes. It was gone in a week. Some get it bad and some don't. I hope your LO's clears up soon xx

5. HopesDreams

HopesDreams Well-Known Member

My son had a wee bit at the front of his scalp & in his eyebrows. I used to massage in some coconut oil morning & evening. When he was a bit older I used a soft baby brush with a wee dab of baby shampoo while he was in the bath. I done this twice & it worked for him. He's always been practically a baldy though. :)

6. Karate Kid

Karate Kid Well-Known Member

Coconut oil cleared Cs cradle cap x

7. Babybushie28

Babybushie28 Well-Known Member

Thx girls.

I mentioned it to doc and he said its all
    Normal and to keep with the olive oil too. I love his little hair, I can't wait for it to start growing back!

8. newbie1984

newbie1984 Well-Known Member

George had bad cradle cap at the front of his head. I used the odd bit of olive oil other than that I just brushed it when flakes were loose. 6 months and its completely gone and he has a full head of hair again