Could the name you pick affect your childs future?

Although it's not nice, yes, we are all judged by our names before anyone meets us, sometimes subconsciously. As a teacher, you can be pretty accurate which kids are going to be a problem before you meet them because of the names they have, which says more about their parents really... sad but true. If you want a name which is a bit different you could always use it as a middle name. x

It's Fenella Fudge!!! But I shall always think of her as Vanilla now!!!

Really?! :rotfl:

Even when i say "Fenella" to myself it sounds just like Vanilla lol!

I stand by my original comment! Supid name lol

Personally I think that unless you are from a long line of that name it is pretentious and ridiculous.

Yeah, i tend to agree. Unless you have a family estate that has been in the family for several generations, you should just get married and all have the fathers name.

Double barrelled just says "commitment issues" to me lol :)

Def disagree LouiseB, how can double barreled mean commitment issues??? Is it not just modern living? You get given a name at birth so why bother changing it, doesn't mean you love anyone less, infact it would be quite flattering to both change your name when you marry, shows a modern committed couple to me. I know it can sound a bit posh though and we didn't do it because it can be too much of a mouthful, that's why I'm thinking maybe wouldn't be fair on baby. Wonder what same sex married couples do?

Personally I think that unless you are from a long line of that name it is pretentious and ridiculous.

Yeah, i tend to agree. Unless you have a family estate that has been in the family for several generations, you should just get married and all have the fathers name.

Double barrelled just says "commitment issues" to me lol :)

I wasn't going to comment again, but I feel if you can put such strong comments about what you think about double barrelling names, then why can't I.

As I have put above, my child has a double barrelled name and I dont consider myself to be pretentious, rediculous or have commitment issues. I made a practical and informed choice to use both names and would inturn take the name myself if I was to marry her father. Im hoping that when she is older she doesnt encounter people having the same views as you both and instead meet people with a slightly more open mind (about a surname, of all things!). Surely we judge each other on enough things already, lets not add whether or not someone has a line in their surname another one.

Two of my children have a double barrelled name (with current oh), one has my name (had him at 19, father went to the shop for milk and never came back) and my other has my ex husbands name and he won't let me change it ( very controlling man). I've never really thought about it in detail but I would love us to all have the same name x

My dog even has a double barrelled name, Princess-Tinkerbell ;) xx

my LO has a double barralled surname as me and oh are Not married and will Not be getting married for along time, i didn't want to have a completely different name to my daughter. certainly doesn't make me a Snob or mean i have 'commitment issues' found that rather rude to be honest.

We've been thinking of names too and one of the things that was very important to us is that the name would still work well when they're adults. The other things we needed was for it to sound nice in our two languages (Russian and Spanish) and to go with both our surnames. TBH I really can't imagine what goes through the minds of people when they name their kids Sunshine or Dolphin! Can you imagine trying to get a serious job with a name like Sunshine Smith?!

We will have a double barelled surname I'm afraid, but unfortunately not because we're nuveau riche! I never changed my surname when we got married, because I really like it (it's a russian surname) and I thought changing names was a bit old fashioned :lol:, husbands don't own their wives anymore. My OH kept his as well and we're happy with the kids having both surnames (he's from a spanish speaking country so it's not a new concept to him). Our surnames also sound well together so why not. I think that it's a bit silly to claim that people have 'commitment issues' based on what they do with their surnames. I've been together with my husband for 6 years... :D. And do you really want to claim that everyone from a spanish speaking country has problems with commitment?

Last edited:
I would be double barrelling if we didn't both have long surnames that don't go together very well, it's all down to personal choice. As I mentioned earlier the reason that my own name is being included in the baby's is because we are the only family left in the UK with this surname and all the kids being girls means that it wont carry on. I wouldn't be doing it to be snobbish, simply to try to carry on the name.

You'd better have twin boys then princess, keep that lovely name goin ;) x

As I said my best friend has a double barrelled surname and I think its lovely. She was adopted by her step dad when she was a kid and that's what they decided on. Her mum is a bitch wannabe snob but that's nothing to do with her lol. I think double barrelled names and surnames are nice :)

the only family left in the UK with this surname and all the kids being girls means that it wont carry on. I wouldn't be doing it to be snobbish, simply to try to carry on the name.

I'm intrigued as to what surname you have now!?!! Lol xxx

i dont see a problem in have a double barrel name or a single surname tbh and i think its a bit unfair to just presume someone is a snob or has commitment issues because they have given their child a double barrel surname me personally hated my surname before i was married it caused me some c**p during school so i never gave my 3 eldest children my surname they took on their dads surname but if i would of liked my surname then they would of had double barrel or my surname now im married i have thought of changing their name to double barrel so they have the same name as me because school always call me by their surname which gets right on my nerves but i think as they are older i shall leave the decision up to them if they would like a double barrel name or not

there is no right or wrong when it comes to surnames

There is def a lesson for us all in this thread that people do judge a name whatever you decide as we're all so different, whether is double barreled, traditional, modern or just way out there! Think we should try not to judge as there are so many reasons behind a name and it doesnt reflect that person. I know I won't ever pre-judge a person now until I've met them, not that I think I did that but suppose we all do a bit.

Guess my hubby was right about the cv factor! As long as we both like the names and agree that's the main thing, like someone said earlier your kids often grow up like you with the same kind of outlook on life and often the same kind of career path, so in theory their name should 'fit' that life I guess! So maybe no Sunshines, Apples or Dolphins for me! Not sure I've met any architects or engineers with those names!

Yep defo people judge

I'm like u n like more unusual names which means it's even harder to find a good one

I try n find ones that can be shortened or not to fit different aspects like cv or toddler or teenager etc with out sounding to crazy or silly but still have that unusual touch, x x

As for double barreled surnames there r many reason a person may down this rout I was thinking it my self to be honest as my son has my surname n never met his dad so that's that, but this Lil one I'm with my oh n he want her to have his name were as I don't want to confuse my son or make him feel pushed out So was thinking may be double barrel it ? I'm skint n defo have no commitment issues x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back